• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Does Fractal Noise Stop Early?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this question has been asked several times but there isn't an answer that solves my situation.

I have a factal noise filter in my file that I need to last an hour. The effect only lasts about 4-5 minutes before it stops and freezes the fractal noise pattern for the remainder of the video. I have included a screenshot of my fractal noise settings.

Thanks for any direction.Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 7.32.48 PM (2).png

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Evolution parameter has a max value of 32768 (or something close to that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dan already explained, a lot of effects parameters are 16 bit integers and thus cap off at 32000-ish. If you want the noise to last longer, split the layer in multiples or find other ways to animate it with ping-pong and loop keyframes or such. After four minutes, who would even notice any repetitions, especially when you disguise them further with offset animation?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response Mylenium! Unfortunately when I try to split the fractal noise layer into multiples and copy and repeat the portion of the fractal noise that is active, the fractal noise still freezes at approximately the same timestampe. I also tried to split the layers and create a pingpong loop for each layer and it still stopped at the same place on a different layer. I am completely on board with repeating after 4 minutes because almost nobody would notice. The fractal noise I've copied in the images here have the same settings as the image in my first post.

I'm wondering if the turbulent noise function would give me better results..

Thanks again.Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.10.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-03 at 8.26.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, it makes no difference how many layers I have with the setting shows above, the fractal noise stops at the same timestamp whether there are 1 or 5 layers. Waterfalling the layers doesn't restart the animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind if it repeats, you could just change your original expression to:

(time*130)%32000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This works. Thanks Dan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also subtract the inPoint from the time, so it starts at zero every time:

(time-inPoint)*30

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines