• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does it seem my shape layers take the whole space of the composition?

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import a file from illustrator into AE, but when I create the shapes from vector layer after turning that illustrator file into a layered composition, something strange happens when I try to work on the composition. No matter where I click on the composition, either trying to click on another layer or just empty composition space, it'll only select the top most layer. I cant select any of the layers beneath it without locking the layer, and it does this with multiple layers in the composition as well, not just the top most layer. Any ideas as to why it's doing this and how can I just move the selected shape, and not both the selected shape and the outline of the entire composition? I already checked in illustrator that there is nothing else hidden inside the layer other than the shape itself. Sorry in advance if this is a common thing in AE, I just barely started learning the program. Untitled.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's how shape layers work. They're always composition size. In your case there may also be an empty frame since you imported as comp size in the first place. Drill open the shape layer structure and clean it up as needed. Otherwise simply consider working with native AI files. Based on your screenshot there seems no good reason to even convert the artwork. Refer to the online help for more details.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines