• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would like to see entire 1920x1080 clip but I want comp at 1080×1920

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I have all 1920x1080 clips that I am make a 1080×1920 comp for and this res will be final export. How can I work in 9:16 AR borders but also see the full 16:9 clip? Switching settings back and forth seem to cause scale changes. Hopefully there is a setting, otherwise maybe some kind of boundary boxes defining a zoomed in 9:16, I don't know any help appreciated thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are going to have to crop your horizontal video by scaling it up by 178%. This will cut off a fair portion of the image but it's the only way to fill the frame without distorting the image. You will loose quality at any scale above about 120%, but you can get some of that quality back by using Detail Preserving Upscale instead of just using the Scale property. 

Your other option would be to scale the footage down to 56.5% so that the left and right edge match the edge of the frame and put some kind of background below the layer so you don't just have black holes above and below the footage layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick I'll look into preserving upscale. Is there any way I can see the rest of the video after I upscale it? I need to know what other images are on each frame outside the crop. Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that sounds like a weird workflow. Why wouldn't you simply work in a 1920 x 1920 comp using some guide lines or a masked solid as reference and then crop it for final output by pre-composing? I'm not saying that AE couldn't support off-canvas display of layers, but from a simple practical standpoint even then working in a larger pre-comp would make sense when it comes to timing stuff or avoiding effects cutting off prematurely...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mylenium I'm playing around with different comp settings now and maybe try gridlines or a mask. I think my basic goal is to be able to evaluate the 1920×1080 data outside the 1080x1920 frame and then when I see some frames I want to focus on I would keyframe the position to capture that section of the screen and then keyfram a return to the 1080x1920 window. I think your 1920x1920 idea sounds good with a defining box but with the zoom aspect I am getting confused ;-( I'll play around with what you answer Rick said thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines