• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong image size on PSD import

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've worked with layered PSDs as footage for AE quite a bit and never run into this. The title says it all really -- a cropped PSD, with "Delete cropped pixels" checked, when brought in as a composition is completely the wrong size. This is whether I import as Composition or Composition -- Retain Layer Size.

My PSD is 2484 x 3101. When I import the layers all come in at 4844 x 3229, the original precrop size of the PSD. There are only four layers, and only RGB channels, no alphas or anything else.

This happens even if I save out all my layers as TIFs then reconstruct a PSD from those.

Is this expected behavior?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

No, this is not expected behavior.

Maybe this is the case:

Maybe you have numbered PSD files: let's say your original is "file_01.psd" and the resized one is "file_02.psd", so I suspect that you import those as sequence without notice and AE is taking the dimension from the first file in the sequence.

Just a wild guess

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is not expected behavior.

Maybe this is the case:

Maybe you have numbered PSD files: let's say your original is "file_01.psd" and the resized one is "file_02.psd", so I suspect that you import those as sequence without notice and AE is taking the dimension from the first file in the sequence.

Just a wild guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gah, of course that was it. Thank you. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Strange that there is no "Image Sequence" option or similar in the PSD import dialog box that would have probably prompted me to think about it. Means that previous versioned files need to be removed from the same location as the one you are importing of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange, you always have the option of importing sequences, it doesn't matter if it's PSD or any other format. Anyway you don't have to delete the other files, just rename the final one so it doesn't have the same naming convention with the others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you're correct about that too -- in the usual open dialog box, rather than in the PSD import options that pop up after you select that file type. And, yes, renaming any other incremented files is also a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

I have an image, 4000x3000 px, 300 dpi. (Square aspect ratio)
When I import this image into indesign, it will be 960x720 pixels at 300 dpi.
If I resize it to 4000x3000 px, it will be 72 dpi.
Same problem when opening a new document by selecting print or web.
Same problem with other images from stock sites or Photoshop, other PSD and INDD documents.
All applications (Photoshop, Indesign) have been updated.
When exported from indesign, the images give sh!t resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wrote in the wrong topic, but I can't delete or edit it because stupid adobe doesn't allow it. They could hire a UX designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines