• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding support essential property support for paths.

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TaylorJonPeters_0-1677789988316.png

Hi Devs!!

Although Essential properties is a really powerful tool for toolkitting and templates.

I NEVER use it for that, I just use it to re use other design elements, and even for some more advanced rigging. All that being said I would really love if you added paths support.

Would make it quick to have more complicated rigs that you can make based of of shapelayers

ie, hair rigs, chains, wind socks, leaves. etc. 

Demo below! Thanks to Greg Stewart for building the demo script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TABgXxJQqhU

Idea Acknowledged

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Hi @Taylor Jon Peters,

Thanks for this request! It certainly would be a great addition to workflows in After Effects. I can personally attest that it is not as simple as "dragging the Path property into the 'Show in Essential Graphic' column" though 😉

There is a way to accomplish this with the existing supported properties by using a Text Essential Property to pass the path information. I've attached an .aep that demonstrates how this works using Shapes and Masks as input to a pre-comp. Credi

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Taylor Jon Peters,

Thanks for this request! It certainly would be a great addition to workflows in After Effects. I can personally attest that it is not as simple as "dragging the Path property into the 'Show in Essential Graphic' column" though 😉

There is a way to accomplish this with the existing supported properties by using a Text Essential Property to pass the path information. I've attached an .aep that demonstrates how this works using Shapes and Masks as input to a pre-comp. Credit to @Brent Walker for the original idea. In all fairness, this is essentially (ha!) an EP-powered version of the cross-comp expression rigging you showed in your video but should be more robust and function almost exactly as it would if you could use Path properties directly.

I'll also move this post over to the Ideas section of the After Effects forums where it can gather more support and discussion.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the cred @JohnColombo! I would LOVE to have this option available (stock) in EPs so also thanks to @Taylor Jon Peters for posting it. I've added my support, and hope it gets about 5000 more votes ASAP 🤞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is an excellent idea, but lovely to have the clever workaround in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh I think I tried to do something like this to no avail. GENIUS! Native support would be amazing of course, but this is a great solve for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great ideaaa for this Brent! Will tide me over until we get that sweet single click solve! 

Votes

Translate

Translate