• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade handeling compositions

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since many scripts and plugins have shown that it is technically possible to have way more options when it comes to handeling compositions.. i wonder why none of that made it into AE ever. Like:

- Duplicating a composition while making duplicates of all subcomps (maybe even assets within). "True Comp Duplicator" is showing us for over 12 years that people need these options.

- Changing length of current comp AND all pre-comps and objects inside, that reach their comps end or at least match all pre-comps to the current one. Sounds specific... but "Match Comp Duration" is a must when u need it.

- Enlarging a pre-comp by pulling on either side! Would be a equally appreciated. With an option to also pull everything inside that touches this side (maybe via modifier key)

- Enlarging the current comp by dragging the In/Out-Point-Bar's left or right handle further in that direction while holding a modifier key

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 15.21.54.png

- Uncomp Pre-Comps. I know that this wouldnt be possible with lots of complex precomps especially when expressions are involved but why not give the option for simple enough pre-comps and grey it out for the ones that would break something.

And there are lots and lots more. Its 2023 and Comps/Pre-Comps are used daily for decades.. normaly a company would want to improve the core elements. But somehow this one sees all the plugins and scripts we use to be able to work with these old tools but they decide to just not improve anything. I dont get it.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everything can be a "core" function and since all you describe can be done one way or the other in AE there is no urgency here. You can even do it manually even if it's clunky. Yes, life would be easier if you could just pull on an UI element instead of having to go into dialogs and possibly multiple times so for nested comps, but it's not like this is costing you hours of your worktime. And then of course it becomes a question of how often you use those functions. personally I for instance never had much use for comp resizing scripts beyond the most basic functions because most of the time re-rendering 3D assets was a bigger issue for these projects than the compositing that held the layers together. That or I simply rebuilt it from scratch because inbetween so much time had passed that I could do things better based on more experience. Based on those experiences I would argue that many of your requests are "once in a blue moon" things. When needed it would be nice to have them, but you may not need them all that often. A survey on the matter might easily reveal that many users change stuff perhaps a few hours into a project or convert some old project, but then never again use those functions and scripts for weeks. And that kind of is the point: You have to weigh the effort it would take to implement such features against how intensely they are actually used and how many resources in terms of programming this would take away from fixing other stuff or creating new features. My 2 Cents...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nana5CCC 

You have some great suggestions here.  If you break them out into individual feature requests, I'll vote for them.

For clarification, when you say "Enlarging a pre-comp by pulling on either side" and "Enlarging the current comp", you mean increasing the duration, right?  Enlarging the pre-comp or Comp means changing the frame size.  Although, being able to option-click and drag the handles of a nested Comp to change the frame size of a nested Comp is a feature I'd also vote for.

As far as "they decide to just not improve anything", I can remember minimal tracking options; no Text Animators; no Roto Brush; no Puppet Tool; no 3-D layer switch; no pop-up menu to set source, masks, masks & effects in the Effect Controls; no native ProRes support; no pressing "s" twice to show only selected properties; no Cinema 4D project integration; no Detail-preserving Upscale; no Content-Video Aware Fill; no ability to make edits while the Preview is running; no way to make edits in an upstream Comp while the Preview in a downstream Comp is running; no way to cache frames while idle; and of course, no 2nd attempt at multi-frame rendering.  So, plenty of improvements all around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MyleniumHonestly.. why not? I work a lot with Cinema 4D and it feels like every option you could possibly want and more is just there. No forums and begging needed. With AE you have to download a ton of scripts and plugin or need to write "code" to have the most basic conveniences like overshoot, batch renaming, a universal search popup, etc.

Since AE's userbase is wide spread, there are lots of fields that could use the features im crying about in my post. Im currently working in an ad acency with a ton of SoMe posts and ads to power through per day and i would use these features every other day. And if i use them.. its often 10-30 times that day. Doing all these things per hand without plugins would sometimes be half a day of work only on these problems. I could do without multiframe rendering (wich they announced so proudly as if they created the new world leading render engine) or other features that nobody asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton  yea i was going to post one initially but than thought of the next and the next.. and realized that none of these things have ever been addressed by adobe. So i got kinda mad and ranted lol. Maybe thats why i overdid it a bit with the "not improve anything" part. You are right, lots of improvements have happened. Although for a billion dollar company and one of their flagship products... thats a very short list in all these years in my opinion.

And yes i meant "increasing the duration". And also yes, changing frame sizes would also be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are kind of making your own point - the user base is widespread, but also a lot more diverse than for a 3D program. Development resources are ultimately finite and the developers have to decide what to focus on. And in fact I could be talking like an old grandpa about features Cinema 4D didn't have if you only go back enough versions. Yes, I'm old enough to have lived through those times. So for what it's worth, to me this is a thing where people simply take the state of some things for granted and citing examples without considering how different things may have been not too long ago, no offense. C4D was just as dependent on lots of COFFEE scripts, plug-ins and whatnot for things that today are native functions or can be easily clicked together with a few nodes. I'm sure you would find C4D 5.21 completely dysfunctional and all sorts of terrible and that's when I started out with it. Again, not meaning to insult you or shoot down your ideas, just throwing out some food for thought...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate