• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

use track matte for individual effects

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On layers we have the ability to add a layer mask in compositing options to limit the effect to within a mask.  It would be amazing if we also had the ability to also pick whip a track matte layer on a per effect basis. 

Also addendum: if we could see/select the compositing options/layer masks within the effects window instead of having to open up compositing options on the timeline it would be more efficient. 

Thanks!
Ruairi 

Idea No status
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2024 Sep 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do that if you add masks to an effect on a layer or an adjustment layer by choosing Compositing Options from the bottom of the Timeline/Layer/Effects stack. If you want to use masks from another layer, you can create masks that follow another mask using the Pickwhip from one mask to another on the same or a different layer. Find the pickwhip in the Parent/Link column of the timeline by pressing F4 or Function + F4 on most laptops. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<<You can do that if you add masks to an effect on a layer or an adjustment layer by choosing Compositing Options from the bottom of the Timeline/Layer/Effects stack.>>>

I'm asking for this to be in the effects window, on the effect themselves, so you don't have to go into a totally different menu to adjust a mask on an effect, while you are working on effects, in the effects window, where all the rest of the tools relating to the effect I am currently working on are located, except for this one tool located in a totally different place. I.E every effect should have a compositing options dropdown menu in the effect itself/a button to enable it. 

<<<<If you want to use masks from another layer, you can create masks that follow another mask using the Pickwhip from one mask to another on the same or a different layer. Find the pickwhip in the Parent/Link column of the timeline by pressing F4 or Function + F4 on most laptops. >>>>

I'm not asking to use a mask from another layer I'm asking to be able to apply a track matte, not a bezier mask, to an individual effect. The ability to use a depth channel or an alpha matte to control where a blur, or a color correction affects the image, just on that one effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that's what you're asking. I just wanted to clarify how to isolate effects on a specific part of a layer.

I add compositing options all the time, and, to tell you the truth, I can't think of a time when I needed to isolate something where creating a separate track matte layer is going to be a faster workflow than adding a mask or linking one with an expression. I would like to see Compositing options at the bottom of the Effects Control Panel display for an effect so I would not have to drill down in the timeline to enable the option and pick a mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>>>I can't think of a time when I needed to isolate something where creating a separate track matte layer is going to be a faster workflow than adding a mask or linking one with an expression.>>>>

working with cryptomattes. Working with depth passes. The purpose of cryptomattes is to isolate objects and materials in 3d scenes for matting in a compositor in a veey precise way. I would like to be able to use these cryptomattes to control the contribution at the level of individual effects. using a bezier mask does not accomplish this. Its not that its faster, its just a completely different thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate