Highlighted

10 cores @4.2 GHz renders 3x faster than 14 cores @ 4.4 GHz - why?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have gone back and forth between a 10-core i9 7900x CPU and a 14-core i9-10940x CPU and have noticed that the older 10-core machine is significantly faster than the newer 14-core machine.  A project I'm working right now renders in about 1 hr on the 10-core and in about 3 hr on the 14 core.  As far as I can tell they are configured exactly the same in all Adobe apps.  Both have hyperthreading enabled.  Both also have NVidia GPU cards but using the CUDA cores in AME makes no difference on either - render times are the same and always significantly faster on the 10 core.  They both have 128 GB of RAM and when I run the 10-core machine I run the projects over the network from the 14-core drive.  So not only do projects render significantly faster on only 10 cores, they do so while using disks over the network, not locally as on the 14-core machine.

When I look at the CPU usage the 10-core machine has a nice even load distribution but the 14-core machine has a very "spiky" load where there are rises/falls in CPU usage with a period of maybe 10 seconds or so.

Certainly somethig is not right.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance,

rgames

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

10 cores @4.2 GHz renders 3x faster than 14 cores @ 4.4 GHz - why?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have gone back and forth between a 10-core i9 7900x CPU and a 14-core i9-10940x CPU and have noticed that the older 10-core machine is significantly faster than the newer 14-core machine.  A project I'm working right now renders in about 1 hr on the 10-core and in about 3 hr on the 14 core.  As far as I can tell they are configured exactly the same in all Adobe apps.  Both have hyperthreading enabled.  Both also have NVidia GPU cards but using the CUDA cores in AME makes no difference on either - render times are the same and always significantly faster on the 10 core.  They both have 128 GB of RAM and when I run the 10-core machine I run the projects over the network from the 14-core drive.  So not only do projects render significantly faster on only 10 cores, they do so while using disks over the network, not locally as on the 14-core machine.

When I look at the CPU usage the 10-core machine has a nice even load distribution but the 14-core machine has a very "spiky" load where there are rises/falls in CPU usage with a period of maybe 10 seconds or so.

Certainly somethig is not right.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance,

rgames

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance, Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects never has and does not now use all cores. The speed depends on the architecture` of the CPU more than it does on the number of cores. Maybe someday AE will more efficiently use CPU cores but I think it is headed down the GPU acceleration road much faster than the CPU route. For now, the only way you can utilize all of the CPU power in your machine is when you do the final render using a background rendering app that allows you to assign cores to the render. I have 3 different BG rendering apps. My favorite is Render Garden

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are literally five million "How do I optimize performance..." threads here on this forum and elsewhere that explain the reasons. The short version is, that AE barely uses GPU features, hardly any multithreading nor genuine asynchronous parallel processing and on top of it has other limitations like being extremely unreliable in terms of which GPUs it even supports. As Rick already said, it's all down to having the mopst beefy processor with a limited number of cores. Everything else pretty much doesn't matter and it doesn't help that with their i9/ i10 processors intel got it in their head to compete with AMD's Threadrippers, which is simply antithetical to how AE works and what it thrives on....

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I am well aware of all the threads relating to AE and AME performance vis-a-vis number of cores.  What I'm asking here is why there is a HUGE difference in performance between the two machines, not why I'm not getting 100% CPU usage.  Regarding architectures, this isn't a different of 10% or even 50% that I've seen discussed elsewhere - it's a 200% difference.

Furthermore, single-core performance is significantly better on the 14-core machine.  Yet it renders in 3x the time.  That still doesn't make any sense given the fact that AE/AME doesn't use all cores.

I'll try again - my question is *not* "Why don't I have 100% CPU usage?"  My question is why is there a 200% *increase* in render time on a machine with *better* single-core performance?  I've seen some indication that higher core counts can increase render times (e.g. the Puget Systems bencharks) but nowhere near 200%.

Surely I have something configured incorrectly.  

Thanks,

rgames

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set RAM allocated to AE to an even multiple of 4 GB, Turn on hardware acceleration everywhere you can. That's all you can do. There are no other settings. There is no magic button you can push to send more of the processing to your CPU. AE will use what your CPU can deliver. It's not surprising at all to me to see a 200% increase in speed with some comps, but the difference in rendering speed depends more on what is going on in the comp than how you have set up your system. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0