• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 After Effects CC Keeps Crashing

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says after effects keep crashing. I could be doing something as menial as moving a text layer with no effects on it, to trying to save my project. It just crashes. I have to save after each adjustment or change I make in order not to lose my progress, but that also crashes the program pretty frequently. Today alone it's crashed 4 times in the last hour.

I'd love any help or advice on this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My after effects kept doing the same thing too! Whenever I added a spin or just a regular transition to my video clips, My AE crashes and closes out. Its been crashing more than 20 times these past 3 days. My video clips also glitch really bad. I wish I still had the 2018 version but I hope it's just a bug or something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating your GPU driver? Also consider trashing your preferences: http://www.kevinmonahan.net/?p=134

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're ever in Anchorage, Alaska. I'll buy you a beer. Thank you. Not sure which of your suggestions did the trick (I suspect it was trashing the prefs,) but I'm back on track now. No crashes today so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, glad to hear it! Don't underestimate the GPU driver too, though. Always keep that in mind when you start to have weird issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I've updated the CPU, reset the prefs and even made sure the BIOS was updated. It's still crashing. Not every few minutes now, but about every 30. Again, it could be as menial as moving a text layer. Any more ideas? Thank you again for your suggestion before, I really thought it did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your system specs, as well as the exact version of your operating system? This could be a permissions issue. Are you getting the Adobe Crash Reporter when AE crashes? If so, you should fill it out saying exactly what you were doing when AE crashed, and don't forget to put your email address in. Someone on the AE team reads all of those, and they might even contact you for more info. If you're getting crash logs it might help to attach one here. Usually they're very complex and it might take an engineer to decipher, but sometimes you can see exactly where the problem is. In cases where I can decipher the crash logs they often point to a specific plug-in or GPU issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent in a crash report about every 3rd time it crashes and prompts me too (1 out of 3 times it doesn't.) And I've filled out what happened and included my email each time. Here are my system specs:

Processor:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core 3.50 GHz

RAM:     

64 gigs

System: 

64-Bit, x65-based processor

Video:

MSI GeForce RTX 2070

OS and current version:

Windows 10 Pro - Version: 1803

Here's the crash log from a few minutes ago:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dx3-vyEHIbfaMIJYnLvNSBUVZarqVlolRq2SijBuES0/edit?usp=sharing

I can't thank you enough to giving up your time to look into this issue. Thank you. If there's anything else I can provide that could help get to the bottom of this I'm happy to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a load of trouble too - all with really simple actions, same as the guy above. I've trashed my prefs but still the same problem. I'm working on a near new MacBook Pro. Is there anyway I can just go back to the older version does anyone know (at least until the AE guys can make the latest version work that is!).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main problem seems to be when I preview the timeline, it will run fine for a while then start to go crazy then the display window will freeze and I have to force quit and restart. I use AE all day everyday for client work and this is an absolute nightmare...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gregn23024080​ This sounds like a different issue. It would be helpful if you could make a new thread, post your machine specs, exact AE setup, and the kind of work you're doing and what types of files you're working with. There are a lot of things to consider with your issue, but yes, you can go back to 2018. Install previous version of your Creative Cloud app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks davidarbor - will do. Figured out how to install previous version and all working fine - so will stick with that I think! Good luck with this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at the crash report, and it looks like it could be related to shape layers. I should have asked at the beginning, is all this crashing happening in a specific project, or is it in all projects? If it's just one project you might have something corrupt and it would be good to narrow things down to the offending layer. It might even be as simple as deleting and recreating it.

Alternatively, you can try to import the problematic project into a new project and see if that fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just tried starting a new project and in about 10 min it crashed. I had just layed out a basic text layer and a simple shape layer. It locked up, gave me yet another crash report and closed.

That particular crash did happen with a shape layer, but it has happened moving a text layer, duplicating comps and even just when I try to save the project.

I forgot to mention before, but I've completely uninstalled AE and every plug-in, script and 3rd party effect and reinstalled AE and just my most used plug-ins. Still keeps crashing.

What's kind of not making sense to me is Premier, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign have not once crashed on me since building this PC/updating my creative cloud apps.

I use this program for 90% of my work for clients. This is fraying my nerves.

Thanks again for working with me on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, this is definitely a tough one. I'm wondering if the issue is permissions. Random crashes are definitely a cause when permissions are screwed up. If you didn't run the CC Cleaner tool then certain folders could have been left around so the permissions might have remained. Fixing permissions problem (slow startup)

If you want, another good troubleshooting test is to create a new user account and work there. If you don't get any crashes then you know the problem is localized to your account, rather than After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this totally fixed the issue for me too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had to log in to give my gratitude as well. 
I've been having issues with installing a crucial third party plug in. And now it would crash every time I'd open an important parameter. 

And your solution was the first one to work LIKE A GEM. 

THANK YOU .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same issue.

I was working successfully last week with After Effects CC 2019 (16.1.1).

However, I was tired of Bridge opening my PSD files with After Effects, so I reset Bridge (cmd + alt + shift when opening Bridge).

Since then, After Effects CC 2019 isn't working anymore; playback with the spacebar doesn't work, nothing appears in the Composition panel, and After Effects freezes when I try to close a project.

I restarted my MacBook Pro numerous times, I reset After Effects (cmd + alt + shift when opening), I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and it still doesn't work.

I even created a new user, installed AE 2019, and I got the same problems...

However, AE CC 2018 works fine.

But that's too bad for my CC 2019 work, though, as AE CC 2019 just doesn't work.

It was working fine last week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> UPDATE << 

A month ago, AE CC 2019 started to work again out of thin air.

Yay.

But today, it started freezing every time a composition uses some effects like Fast Box Blur, Noise, Displacement Map, etc.

However, some effects don't freeze 2019, like Tint, Bend it, etc.

No problem in 2018.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe resolve.jpg

Try that.

Open the NVIDIA Control Panel/ Manage 3D settings/ Program Settings/ Select after effects/ Make CUDA-GPUs- None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines