Highlighted

3 tracking points stabilization?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

is there an option to stabilize the footage with 3 tracking points?

Thing is, I would like to create something like stop-motion video from photos of some object.

So basically I want to choose 3 points on that object on all photos and then make software to align it.

Is there any way how to do it? I know only about 2 points stabilizing.

Thank you for any help.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

3 tracking points stabilization?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

is there an option to stabilize the footage with 3 tracking points?

Thing is, I would like to create something like stop-motion video from photos of some object.

So basically I want to choose 3 points on that object on all photos and then make software to align it.

Is there any way how to do it? I know only about 2 points stabilizing.

Thank you for any help.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All tracking in After Effects uses a feature region and an attach point. You can track as many individual features (the inside square) as you like and attach as many reference layers or nulls as you like. You can also track surfaces in Mocha Pro. 

Stop motion photography requires you to have prominent nonmoving features lined up or to use carefully planned camera moves and then manipulate the objects in the scene that you want to move. I'm not sure how Motion Tracking is going to work unless you have some surfaces that you want to lock in place to fix some poor camera work. 

It would really help if we saw that scene you were working on. I'm imagining a model railroad set with three surfaces you could track.

Screenshot_2020-03-16 15.37.32_TtHBJK.png

If you track all of these objects on a single layer in Mocha AE and then use the transform instead of corner pin the 3 objects will stray lined up, but if the camera is moving then the parallax between other objects in the scene is going to change and look very odd. 

Show us your scene and we can give you a much better idea of how to handle the post-production problem you are running into.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I have several photos like this from different locations and I would like to align the shots with the camera. I did it one time, you can check the video here - https://www.instagram.com/p/BwpcOa_AQLP/ but I was just wondering if there is a way to simplify this process. I made this in photoshop and it's not very accurate. 

1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tracking can't do anything for you if the tracking features aren't consistent, i.e. the imagery is not from the same vantage point and location. All that is trackable in your shots is the camera and its screen, if at all, and in order to do that you'd still have to do a lot of masking beforehand in order to not confuse any tracking algorithms. This is basically a no-no. Manually aligning stuff will still be a lot faster.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no ... I didn't want to make all the work by software. I just wanted to go pic by pic and manually choose 3 same points on camera. For example, some buttons and then make the software to align those points.

On this pic, you can see how I tried to stabilize it, but there is still some wiggling, which 3rd point maybe can fix.

camera track.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The wiggling is most defintely not from the tracking, it's from the minute variations in the perspective. Fixing this semi-automatically would require some advanced 3D tracking, local unwarping and possibly even projection mapping. You can of course try eyeballing it in AE by aligning 3D layers that are massaged with distortion effects, but a real academically and mathematically "correct" alignment can't be achieved that way. That would still require mocha Pro, Nuke, SynthEyes or similar tools.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
mattus33 LATEST
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know it's from changing the perspective. Thank for advice, I will try it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines