3D Camera Tracker Bug

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

After Effects, 3d Camera tracker has a bug.

Here is a screen recording of the issues I am having.

Also when I parent vfx to a null object with tracking data it doesn't do anything, another bug??

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/2YpEzVgVyoI

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

3D Camera Tracker Bug

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

After Effects, 3d Camera tracker has a bug.

Here is a screen recording of the issues I am having.

Also when I parent vfx to a null object with tracking data it doesn't do anything, another bug??

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/2YpEzVgVyoI

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no shots in your sample video that are suitable for Camera Tracking. There is little or no fixed geometry and they are all either a pan or a tilt with a camera basically in the same position. Panning and tilting shots do not contain any depth information, Moving camera shots need fixed geometry with plenty of detail and parallax changes to work well. 

I would use Mocha AE to do track the surfaces on all of those shots. 

I suggest you check the User Guide. There are a couple of tutorials there that will give you an introduction into the proper workflow. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I would agree with you but the shots previously tracked just fine whereas now I just get an error.  If it was a user error the result would be consistent yet I tracked the same clip multiple times and got different results the first time working, and the second time not. You can see the shot of the guy in a pink top didn't work and the second time it did work. Look at my video on the same clip it doesn't work @ 0:40 and than it does work @2:40 so how is that not a bug?

Thank you 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the comp panel resolution when you tried tracking? If I have a shot that is going to be problematic I often apply filters to increase the edge and surface detail, pre-compose, then track the pre-comp. The tracker has changed a bit in recent releases. I'm finding more accurate results without resorting to lens corrections in wide-angle shots and more accurate results when there is a shallow depth of field. 

Let me run through a few screenshots of a shot that could be problematic. Here is some video from a Pocket Osmo of a bunch of goats. The lens is dirty, the exposure is less than ideal, the goats and the camera are both moving. The first pass with Detailed analysis off gives me an error of 1.82 pixels. 

Screenshot_2020-06-27 04.42.14_At8jS1.png

Turning on Detailed analysis gives me an error of 2.09. This tells me that the movement of the goats is causing problems.

Screenshot_2020-06-27 04.35.44_QP2Ykt.png

After a couple of passes deleting trackers that are on the moving goats, I get an error down to about 1.80. I want it better so I pre-compose, add some effects to bring out the detail in the edges. This is what the Pre-comp looks like:

Screenshot_2020-06-27 06.03.16_E8IEwr.png

I run the track with detailed analysis off to the tracker ignores a lot of the motion in the goats and the error drops to 0.85 which is very good. I've enlarged the tracking markers so you can see them better.

Screenshot_2020-06-27 05.28.15_iaOLiz.png

That is the kind of accuracy I want for all of my shots. If the shot of the goats had better exposure and the lens was clean I probably would not have had to go to the trouble of the pre-comp to get the error down. Unless your error is very close to 1 pixel you could have tracking errors. 

If you want to share the shot that you are having the most trouble with I'll gladly take a look at it. There is almost always a way to get some usable tracking data from a shot that that has some fixed geometry in the frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

Thank you for the detailed response but I'm afraid this is a software issue

I will provide you with the same clip I am tracking and I will show you what happens when I track the same clip on my computer via a link.

Just so you know the tracker creates a pattern of tracking points each time this error occurs 

(To even get the tracker points to show I have to click detailed Analysis or else I get the error message (Analysis solved failed)

once I click Detailed Analysis I constantly get this tracker pattern on every clip I track. Once the tracking points are there they don't stick to anything and it seems like they are frozen plus no new tracking points are ever made throughout the shot.

(notice the same pattern on all 6 videos)

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 9.28.47 PM.png 

Footage Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox5iywl10j329c2/MVI_3432.MP4?dl=0

Video showing what happens on my Computer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kwvcqbpdmg35tg/3d%20cam%20tracker%20w%3A%20cars.mp4?dl=0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your shot a half dozen different ways and never had a problem. Your system and AE version details may help us help you. OSX 10.14.6, AE 17.1.1.

The sample video is H.264. Maybe you are getting decoding errors from the MPEG stream. Try rendering a frame-based copy of the footage using a production format or even render an image sequence. That would eliminate any decoding IBP frames from an MPEG file as a possible source of the trouble.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on version 10.15.5 for Mac and I am on version 17.1.1 for After effects.

If you are available to schedule a video or phone call I think that would be great to try and solve this issue!

Thank you

my number is 1(916)-462-1205

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick,

Any progress? This glitch is really frustrating because I'm stuck and I cant fix it.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot duplicate your glitch so I have no idea how to solve it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0