• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D Photo Animation - VoluMax, Photomotion....or something else??

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I'm looking for a 3D photo animation solutions to use in After Effects...it seems like VoluMax and Photomotion (links below) are the leading solutions....does anyone have experience with either/both or can someone recommend another solution?

Thanks in advance!

Jake

https://videohive.net/item/volumax-3d-photo-animator/13646883?s_rank=1

https://videohive.net/item/photo-motion-pro-professional-3d-photo-animator/13922688?s_rank=1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you want to do is simple 2.5 D animations the place to start is planning or picking the images you want to use. Even with outside software solutions or 3rd party plug-ins, the right image characters are the most important part of the process. I seldom do this kind of work, but a long time ago I did a piece for a museum in conjunction with a couple of dozen other AE artists using photos from WWII and we all just separated background, middle ground, and foreground elements in Photoshop, imported the Layered PSD files, arranged them in 3D space, scaled up the layers farthest from the camera to put the photo back together, then animated simple camera moves. Each image was a separate comp and the resulting shots were edited in an NLE.

The hardest part of the process is filling in the holes when you cut out something from the background. That's why image selection is the most important part of the process.

I can't give you any advice on either of those products. The only thing I can tell you is that more of your images are going to cause problems and take longer to process than you expect so if this is contract work, be very careful about what you promise. The WWII project I talked about took about a dozen artists about 3 months to produce a 10-minute film. We were all volunteers and none of us worked full time on the project but I can tell you that I spend more than twice the time on the project than I expected to. Most of the extra time came from falling in love with images that were difficult to prepare. Most of the extra time was spent in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick!  Appreciate your thoughts.   Both these apps seem to streamline the process you outlined above (establish back/mid/foreground, or more layers), arrange in 3D space, overlay onto a mesh, etc....  maybe after I land on one or the other, we can play with one of the images you guys worked on and see if indeed it simplifies this type of work...but as you say, typically the image selection, maybe preprocessing and lets of elbow grease will be required to get optimal results.   Thanks again for your comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jake,

did you end up purchasing any of this products? If so what has been your experience?

I'm wondering myself wich one is better for the company I'm working for.

Thanks in advance for you reply, have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines