Highlighted

A long shot...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try my best to explain this correctly. I made a stop motion video of my friend painting a 3x2m canvas. Each brush stroke she took a picture, to give the impression of the painting painting itself. 

The problem I'm having is that my friend painted different parts of the painting at similar times. This gives a somewhat jolty effect, and splits the viewers attention quite rapidly between two separate parts of the painting. However if i use a mask for one side of the painting on the top layer, and a freezeframe of a duplicated layer below for the other, so that the painting runs consecutively in one area and not the other, there is a real problem with flickering and also the fact that the paint is dripping on one side of the painting and not the other.

The only way i can think of doing it is to mask each brush stroke, over a freezed frame. However if I do that, every single brush stroke would require a new freeze frame and then it would just be a normal video, one frame after another. 

So is there a way i can mask each brush stroke (as in the brush stroke my friend took a picture of, which is real and not done with any effects or anything), freeze that masked stroke alone, while the rest of the image stays the same, and then move on to the next stroke and repeat the process? In that way the only thing that is changing in the image every frame is the individual stroke of that frame, which means no flickering etc.

Is there a way I can do this without having to have let's say 100 layers for 100 frames, with each layer having the mask of the required brush stroke?

I've attached a diagram of what I'm trying to do if that is at all helpful. 

IMG_2300.jpg

TOPICS
Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

A long shot...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try my best to explain this correctly. I made a stop motion video of my friend painting a 3x2m canvas. Each brush stroke she took a picture, to give the impression of the painting painting itself. 

The problem I'm having is that my friend painted different parts of the painting at similar times. This gives a somewhat jolty effect, and splits the viewers attention quite rapidly between two separate parts of the painting. However if i use a mask for one side of the painting on the top layer, and a freezeframe of a duplicated layer below for the other, so that the painting runs consecutively in one area and not the other, there is a real problem with flickering and also the fact that the paint is dripping on one side of the painting and not the other.

The only way i can think of doing it is to mask each brush stroke, over a freezed frame. However if I do that, every single brush stroke would require a new freeze frame and then it would just be a normal video, one frame after another. 

So is there a way i can mask each brush stroke (as in the brush stroke my friend took a picture of, which is real and not done with any effects or anything), freeze that masked stroke alone, while the rest of the image stays the same, and then move on to the next stroke and repeat the process? In that way the only thing that is changing in the image every frame is the individual stroke of that frame, which means no flickering etc.

Is there a way I can do this without having to have let's say 100 layers for 100 frames, with each layer having the mask of the required brush stroke?

I've attached a diagram of what I'm trying to do if that is at all helpful. 

IMG_2300.jpg

TOPICS
Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply Stroke to a mask or you use a shape layer path and trim paths you can choose to animate the strokes all at the same time or individually. The only trick is that all of the paths must be on the same layer. You could certainly put a lot of paths on a single layer. This is very easy if you want to have the stroke draw on and stay on.

Sounds like you are new to AE, and I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish. The part about the freeze frame then move on is a little confusing. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply and yes I'm new to AE, last week has been a steep learning curve!

I understand what you're suggesting. The problem is if i track matte the shape layer, with all the paths coming visible, then as the video (which is being shown through the shape layer) progresses each frame, the already revealed shape layer paths will flicker, which will give the canvas a disjointed feel, where different parts have different colours and brightness at the same time.

I don't think i've explained that very well.  

Let me try again: on one layer is a freeze frame, let's say of the original footage at 1 minute. This is when i want to stop it, as at that moment, two brush strokes happen on the right hand side of the painting, which is unsettling as for the last ten seconds it has been on the left side. So i want to freeze the image just before that point, then simply continue to paint on the left side, using masks or trim paths or the paint tool.  On top of the static image i have the original animation playing, with the desired strokes on the left coming up,through masking or something similar, while the right remaining the same. Is there a way that for each mask that appears, it can automatically freeze frame once it's appeared on the painting? So that not all the area that has been masked is changing (if ever so slightly, with changing light etc), but only each frame as it appears on the canvas?

Maybe that was more unclear... But if you have any ideas i would love to hear them.

Cheers,

Jacob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no automated way to make a keyframe on a mask stop the playback of a video, then play the video again when the animation on the mask is over. Your best option is to use Premiere Pro to split up your clip into freeze, move, freeze, move sections. This is a lot easier to do and the workflow will be a lot faster in Premiere Pro because you can just use the Cut tool, the selection tool, and create the freeze from the popup menu. When you get your stop/start/stop video created you can start animating the masks. Maybe I'm still not understanding what you are trying to achieve.

The other option would be to set a layer marker every time you want the video to freeze, then add an expression that reads the time of that marker, freezes time for a specific number of frames, then allows the movie to play again in real time until it gets to the next marker. I can't write that expression without opening AE and fiddling around for quite a while. Dan Ebberts could probably do it fairly quickly. 

Then you are going to have to go through the comp and animate each mask one at a time. If the mask path animation is only requires a couple of keyframes per masks you might be able to just use the mask keyframes, but markers would be easier.

A screenshot of your comp up to the first animation would help a bit. I'm still not sure what you are trying to do. I can't visualize a VFX shot that is over a minute long, that keeps stopping and playing while some kind of stroke is animated. 

Maybe this helps. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 1