Highlighted

Adding comma to Numbers in Expression Counter

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm new to expression controls in after effects. I have a number counter and I've tried a few different approaches to this (Slider control and a longer string of expression code). Ultimately I decided to use this simple control as it allowed me to control how the numbers jump quite easily:

beginTime = 0;
endTime = 3.5;
startVal = 29219;
endVal = 20188;

Math.round(linear(time,beginTime,endTime,startVal,endVal)/200)*200

The problem is I cant seem to get a comma built in. Not sure if this is because I am trying legacy methods with a JavaScript project. Help if possible. Thank you!

TOPICS
Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adding comma to Numbers in Expression Counter

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm new to expression controls in after effects. I have a number counter and I've tried a few different approaches to this (Slider control and a longer string of expression code). Ultimately I decided to use this simple control as it allowed me to control how the numbers jump quite easily:

beginTime = 0;
endTime = 3.5;
startVal = 29219;
endVal = 20188;

Math.round(linear(time,beginTime,endTime,startVal,endVal)/200)*200

The problem is I cant seem to get a comma built in. Not sure if this is because I am trying legacy methods with a JavaScript project. Help if possible. Thank you!

TOPICS
Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RMI_1,

The new JavaScript expression engine makes formatting numbers very easy, much easier than a 30+ line function. To ensure you're using the JavaScript engine, go to File > Project Settings... > Expressions tab > set "Expressions Engine" to "JavaScript". It's the default so you are likely already using it.

Then modify your last line and add one more, as in the following example:

var num = Math.round(linear(time,beginTime,endTime,startVal,endVal)/200)*200;
new Intl.NumberFormat( "en-US", { useGrouping: true } ).format( num );

For more information on how to use Intl.NumberFormat, check out https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/NumberFormat. You can format dates, currency, etc and it's all handled by the NumberFormat object. Feel free to reply back with any additional questions.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 1
Tom_10 LATEST
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, this is just great, thank you for sharing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0