Highlighted

Adding stroke to extruded shapes

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I want to create an extruded shape where there is a stroke all around the shape.

I wasn't able to achieve that, as shown on the attached screenshots

scr1.jpgscr2.jpgscr3.jpg

Thank you!

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adding stroke to extruded shapes

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I want to create an extruded shape where there is a stroke all around the shape.

I wasn't able to achieve that, as shown on the attached screenshots

scr1.jpgscr2.jpgscr3.jpg

Thank you!

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show please the timeline (it's header) with Content Properties expanded. Now it looks like if you have a second (white) thin stroke around the shape.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scr.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thanks. Try to change Side Color from white to blue, same as the stroke.

Or, if you want the sides to always follow (by color) the stroke, just select the Material Options line (the one which is in Content section) and delete it.

with optional side color (my Green is like your White)

Anna_Lander_0-1598535712080.png

without optional side color

Anna_Lander_1-1598535791490.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set up a stroke on a shape layer and extrude it using the C4D Rendering workspace, the stroke will run the entire length of the extrusion. There are two ways you can add a stroke to the front surface and the back surface. You cannot add a stroke to any corners formed by the extrusion on a shape layer, but it doesn't look like your shape has any hard edges that need a stroke.

Here is the workflow. 

• Create the shape you want to extrude with a fill and stroke that are the same color
  • Duplicate that shape layer twice, remove the fill on both copies of the shape layer and change the stroke color and name one copy Front and the other copy Back
  • Arrange the 3 shape layers so the layer with the Fill is in the middle
  • Parent both of the Stroke only layers
  • Offset the position property of the Front layer -1 in Z
  • Select the  Fill layer and press AA to reveal the extrusion properties
  • Add this expression to the Back layer's position property

[0, 0, thisComp.layer("Fill").geometryOption.extrusionDepth + 2]

That's all there is to it. You'll end up with this:

Screenshot_2020-08-27 11.03.07_E0lJge.png

The second option is to just use one shape layer, set the comp to Classic 3D, add your camera and lights, then export the comp as a Maxon C4D file, import the C4D file and use Cineware and C4D Lite to extrude the shape and shade it in C4D lite to bring out the edges. That is how I prefer to work because there are a lot more options in C4D lite for shading, textures, and extrusions, and you can pre-render it, C4D lite works better using the Media Encoder and the render times are a little better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
guyman20 LATEST
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both

I'll give it a try!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0