Highlighted

Adobe After Effects CC 2020 playback issue

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reinstalled, turned off adaptive resolution, tried everything I can find on the forum and still can't figure out why After Effects CC 2020 v17.1.4 will not give me a smooth playback.  

Upon playback (hitting the spacebar, the playback button, or otherwise) AE will not fully playback the work area.  It always drops a frame or two.

Ive just installed CC 2019 and I don't have this issue.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe After Effects CC 2020 playback issue

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reinstalled, turned off adaptive resolution, tried everything I can find on the forum and still can't figure out why After Effects CC 2020 v17.1.4 will not give me a smooth playback.  

Upon playback (hitting the spacebar, the playback button, or otherwise) AE will not fully playback the work area.  It always drops a frame or two.

Ive just installed CC 2019 and I don't have this issue.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previews in AE are always limited by system resources. On some systems, one version of AE will give you a little better playback performance than another. In my case, CC 2020 is far superior to previous versions, but I have carefully optimized everything.

To overcome a preview problem you can adopt the "Pencil Test - Ink And Paint workflow used by all major studios that do animation and visual effects. Use previews to check the timing, staging (blocking), and action in a shot or short scene by turning off motion blur, setting the comp resolution to Auto and Magnification Factor to 50%, skipping a frame in the Preview Panel, setting Fast Draft as the preview option. That's a pencil test.

When the shot or short scene works the way you want it to work, move on to Ink and Paint. That's where you go to the hero frames, the important frames, and turn on Motion Blur, Effects, set the comp magnification factor to 100% or maybe even 200%, and take a close look at the frame. When you are satisfied that the frame looks good, send the comp to render using a BG rendering solution like Render Garden or the Adobe Media Encoder and move on to the next scene while a full resolution full effects comp is being rendered. You won't waste time waiting for slow previews to render, you won't lose productivity while your shot is rendering, and you will be working the way Pixar, Disney, ILM, and all the other big boys work when they have hundreds of people working on a shot. Nobody starts out trying to preview the final product at full resolution with all effects turned on. 

If you are trying to preview something longer than a few seconds then you are probably using After Effects as a video editor instead of a compositing, motion graphics, and visual effects tool. More than 90% of my comps are one-shot under seven seconds. I edit in Premiere Pro or another NLE. Trying to edit a 4-minute music video or a 10-minute explainer video is about as efficient as trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. You might be able to eventually get the job done, but it is going to take a long time and it is going to be very messy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0
_pmurphy LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else encounter this playback issue and could provide helpful information?  Can't seem to find it on AEs known issues.

My specs:

Windows 10

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz

64 GB Ram (58 allocated to AE)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2020 0