Highlighted

Adobe Media Encoder making weird masks on my video

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! So I have a problem rendering a video. I am using Adobe After Effects 2018. I already finished editing it, and exported it to Media Encoder 2018. I tried exporting it as H.264. The problem is that is makes some weird masks. 

I am adding the first video which shows it playing well inside After Effects editor. (good.mp4). Here there are no weird masks or anything. It is all inside Comp 1, which is what I rendered.

This is the result when I render it.

(bad.mp4). 

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I am indeed rendering the Comp 1 so I have no idea what the problem is.

Thanks!

Iñigo

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Media Encoder making weird masks on my video

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! So I have a problem rendering a video. I am using Adobe After Effects 2018. I already finished editing it, and exported it to Media Encoder 2018. I tried exporting it as H.264. The problem is that is makes some weird masks. 

I am adding the first video which shows it playing well inside After Effects editor. (good.mp4). Here there are no weird masks or anything. It is all inside Comp 1, which is what I rendered.

This is the result when I render it.

(bad.mp4). 

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I am indeed rendering the Comp 1 so I have no idea what the problem is.

Thanks!

Iñigo

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those videos tell us nothing about your workflow, your comps, or your settings. We need workflow details and comp settings. If you are using 3D layers it could be as simple as two layers occupying the same plane. It could be GPU settings. It could be anything. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick_Gerard. Thanks for your answer. I recorded a quick one minute video explaining the issue. Maybe it helps a bit more.

https://youtu.be/L2DYsFFTLOo

Please let me know if it is enough information what I am giving in the video.

Thanks!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I noticed is the frame rate of the comp:

Screenshot_2020-05-07 15.18.18_qEjbEz.png

This tells me that the footage came from a mobile device and it is probably a variable frame rate. The very first thing you should do is check interpolation the footage of the source files and set it to the nearest standard frame rate which would be 23.976. Make sure the comp is the same frame rate and try another render. 

In most cases this will fix the variable frame rate problem that is causing odd frames to render here and there as the video is compressed. If that does not fix the problem you will need to add your source video to the Adobe Media Encoder, set the frame rate to a 23.976, and render a DI (Digital Intermediate) that is NOT an H.264 movie. Use one of the other presets that will give you an interframe compressed visually lossless master that you can use in your comp.

H.264 is an Intra-Frame compressed format that uses the information in the I frames, which is a separately compressed version of a single raw frame, to calculate the details in the P frames (predictive coded) frames and the B frames (bidirectionally predictive coded). In other words, only 1 out of 3 frames in an h.264 movie has all the original information compressed from the original image and the other 2 frames are mathematical calculations predicting where the pixels are moving. When you have two sources that have variable frame rates and you are re-compressing them, sometimes the I frames from one source get out of sync with the I frames in the other source and you end up with those ghosts. Typically only every 15th frame is an I frame. 

If your first post stated that your comp was 23.990 fps and the original footage came from a mobile device we would have known instantly that the problem was probably the non-standard and probably variable frame rate of the source footage. The preview in AE hides this problem because every frame is decoded in AE, it's only when you start mixing frame rates and compression that the glitches show up.

For a little history and a better understanding of compression check the H.264 Wikipedia page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 1
inigozc LATEST
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! You're an absolute genius Rick Gerard. That was the problem. When I set both to 23.967 they are now an sync with the render. I have one last question. Does this mean I have to do the masking again? Because it is now out of place. Is there a way I can bring the masking I had already done?

Thanks a lot again! You saved me from re installing After Effects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0