Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on Sky Replacement VFX

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am trying to edit a VFX shot in After Effects and was wondering if anyone had a better way of completing it?

The aim is to have dark storm clouds slowly roll in from the horizon and eventually fill the clear sky.

I have a attached a picture of what I have done so far (Rotoscoped the horizon and placed a Timelapse of clouds behind it, then key framed the clouds to move forward - I don't know how best to cover more of the sky with the clouds) Hopefully someone else has a better idea about how I can complete it and make it look more realistic.

Thanks

883DD3B3-D5D2-45EC-BF15-07D65D2475AA.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, start by actually patching together an animated cloud comp from multiple sources. Barring elaborate physics particle/ fluid simulations that's how it's done in movies. A single source simply won't do it. In a pinch, setting up your own cloud tank and shooting your own footage will even do.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use multiple copies of your cloud layer (Transformed a bit so they don't all look the same) or several different cloud layers to make up your sky. You can augment it with Fractal Noise too. Fractal Noise is a highly underrated effect and, when you play with it and combine it with other effects, it can produce some amazing results.

Also, check out Video Copilot's Advanced Electric Effects tutorial for some great stormy clouds. The whole thing is useful for the stuff it teaches, but the storm clouds start at about 34:44 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll have a go at those things now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines