AE 17.1.4 Crashes constantly on simple project - at a loss.

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I started a new project. Very simple one 1080 HDTV composition with  2 layers - 1) 720x1280 jpg and 2) a :30 iPhone mp4 video.

All I had to do was "color-range" key out part of the video.  Which I did.

Then used Key Cleaner to tighten it up.

One or 2 adjustements into Key Cleaner and Boom AE Crashed.

ERRORS: 

"Unable to allocate 0.291MB of memory. Either decrease memory requirements or install more ram." (the amount of memory it says it needs changes)

I click "OK"

Immediately get new error: "Unable to allocate enough memory to render the current frame (3008 x 2008 @ 8 bcc) Either decrease memory requirements or install more ram."

I click "OK" but the alert never goes away. Requiring a force quit.

Any ayttempt to reopen that file, or any other earlier copy(?) or saved version of it results in an immedite crash.

I have restarted the project from scratch countless times following the changes below:

- I have deselected "hardware accelerate" 

- I have emptied the cache

- I've tried creating a smaller video (720x1280)

- I have toggled off "Enable Disk Cache"

- I have doubled the default size of the Disk cache to 200GB.

- I have reduced "RAM reserved for other apps" the the minimum possible (3 GB), leaving 29GB for AE.

- I have uninstalled AE, deleted all files and folders (preferences, cache, etc) in my entire system labeled "After Effects" restarted the computer and reinstalled AE. -- Multiple times.

- I have no 3rd party plugins or anything else - this is Adobe's pure version of AE.

- No other apps are running.

- I have 1TB available on my HD.

- I have tried starting different projects,  using different media sources and get the same result.

- I'm now using 17.1.4 (build 37)

I have a Mac Mini - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

RAM: 32 GB (2667 MHz DDR4)

Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Why can't I Key a Color Range and then use Key Cleaner without causing immediate crashes?

Of course I can post crash logs. But thought I'd start here. Thanks

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd say update your graphics drivers, but since you're on Mac that's a bit tricky. Firstly check if it's an issue with your footage, try the same operations on another clip. If it crashes with any clipc, then check if you have any mac updates waiting. If that doesn't work, try re-installing AE. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color Range keyer is a very old plugin and it's not really that good. If you could post a screenshot (embed please using the toolbar) we could give you some suggestions for a better way to pull the matte. You also might want to roll back one version of AE unless you are running Catalina. If you are on Catalina I strongly suspect that the OS is not compatible with the combination of effects you are using.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JolHolo AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. Maybe it's the age of Color Range. Question - if color is the ideal keying method - which plugin would you use if not Color Range?  ( You are correct, I am indeed on current ver. Catalina BTW )

The souce material is really difficult no matter how you slice it. The keyed color is beige, with shadows - ugh. The subject is a person with skin color that is pretty close. Contrast is similar. You get the issue. Even so, I was getting *good* keying results from tweaking the heck out of Color Range - there was a subtle hue difference and it seemed to be enough to pull a key - but with the crashing I finally gave up.  It's disappointing because it seemed I could have done it otherwise.

I have chosen all new backgrounds that are a similar in color/texture to the beige wall and have masked the subject instead. It's not as good, but if you're not looking closely you don't notice the masking.

Anyway thanks again.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines