Highlighted

AE 2020 CRASHES ON OPENING FILES

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had to step back to AE 2019 as the new versions is buggy as hell. Most of my old projects and Envato downloads just crash when trying to open. Can't get any further with old projects as she software justs shuts down. 

Any reason why? Are you aware of this issue and working on repairing it?

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE 2020 CRASHES ON OPENING FILES

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had to step back to AE 2019 as the new versions is buggy as hell. Most of my old projects and Envato downloads just crash when trying to open. Can't get any further with old projects as she software justs shuts down. 

Any reason why? Are you aware of this issue and working on repairing it?

TOPICS
Crash, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 02, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lav66784499,

Sorry for your issue. I understand that After Effects is crashing when you try to open your old projects.

Do you see any error message when it crashes? What happens if you try to import your projects into a new project? Does it work that way? Also, what's the exact version of After Effects you're using: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-find-the-exact-version-of-after-effects-you-...

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply nishu

Un fortunately AE just shuts down, no error message. The versión is 17.1.1. build 34

What I hadn't tried was importing the project instead of opening it straight. I've fiddled around with a few of the projects with problems and they seem to remain stable with this workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced the same thing. 
I think there's a bug with text layers and expressions on the source text (looking at other texts - for example: thisComp.layer("Some Text Layer").text.sourceText)

I've reverted back to 17.1.0 and have no problem opening the projects.
Hope this can be fixed soon..

Thanks.
Jean-Paul

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lav66784499 & Jean-Paul_de_Win,

Would you mind sharing a project file with us to test at our end?

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

here's a transfer link. Not sure how else I could share or attach this file. 
https://we.tl/t-BX7Eo1lZ1W

Not my original project, but pretty sure this project should crash upon opening in AE 17.1.1 (on MacOS Catalina btw).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This project file didn't crash on my AE

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking. Are you on Mac or PC?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both, although these crash problems are mainly on MacOS (running Mojave)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 14, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lav66784499 and Jean-Paul_de_Win,

Sorry for the delayed response. Are you still having the issue with the latest version (17.1.3)?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've only just updated so I still haven't checked to see if the crash persists, but since I started using the workaround of importing the project file in a new one I'm not too concerned any more.

Thanks for the follow up anyways.

Regards,
Adrian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to have this issue in 17.1.3
Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just opened a project that still crashes due to this problem, so I DO still have this issue in 17.1.3

Best. JP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JP, thanks for getting back.

We've been discussing this with the After Effects engineers and they need the project file that's crashing and log files from your computer to investigate this further.

Steps to get the log files:

1. Open After Effects and go to Help > Enable Logging
  2. Open the projects that are crashing.
  3. Check if the After Effect is generating any logs. Here's how: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-find-after-effects-crash-logs-on-your-comput...

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Nishu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0