Highlighted

AE 2020 Rendering Extremely Slow While Machine Sits Idle

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 2020's render engine seems ridiculously inefficient. I've attached screengrabs so you can see how it's utilizing my 2019 Mac Pro class hardware - a 14-core core-i9 7940x processer and Radeon VII GPU - as it renders out comps of 7K x 7K stereoscopic video with Mocha Pro and various layer masks. I'm working in ProRes 422.

My CPU utilization is around ~15%

My GPU utilization is around ~1% 

My powerful machine is basically sitting idle during this render with all its power left on the table.

I'm running macOS 10.15.3

Core-i9 7940x CPU

Radeon VII GPU

128Gb RAM

What's going on here? Is this a problem with Apple's Metal API or is the AE 2020 render engine just pathetically inefficient? 

While it's nice having full use of my machine while rendering, I'd prefer having my renders finish faster. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

CPU usage at ~15%CPU usage at ~15%GPU usage at ~1%GPU usage at ~1%

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE 2020 Rendering Extremely Slow While Machine Sits Idle

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 2020's render engine seems ridiculously inefficient. I've attached screengrabs so you can see how it's utilizing my 2019 Mac Pro class hardware - a 14-core core-i9 7940x processer and Radeon VII GPU - as it renders out comps of 7K x 7K stereoscopic video with Mocha Pro and various layer masks. I'm working in ProRes 422.

My CPU utilization is around ~15%

My GPU utilization is around ~1% 

My powerful machine is basically sitting idle during this render with all its power left on the table.

I'm running macOS 10.15.3

Core-i9 7940x CPU

Radeon VII GPU

128Gb RAM

What's going on here? Is this a problem with Apple's Metal API or is the AE 2020 render engine just pathetically inefficient? 

While it's nice having full use of my machine while rendering, I'd prefer having my renders finish faster. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

CPU usage at ~15%CPU usage at ~15%GPU usage at ~1%GPU usage at ~1%

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 24, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing wrong. AE has always behaved this way. You are operating on wrong assumptions. It might be a good idea to educate yourself on the gigazillion "How can I optimize performance in AE?" and similar threads here on this forum and all over the web.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to optimize performance in AE and I've done so.

My question is about AE's performance with Apple's Metal renderer since CUDA support is gone in AE 2020 and OpenCL is deprecated. My Metal rendering times suck compared to what I used to get with CUDA.

If you're saying that AE render performance is inefficient in general, well I guess then it's time for another feature request for Adobe to rethink the AE render engine because in 2020 this level of inefficiency is just sad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's not forget that Adobe has kindly placed all of the work on the shoulders of us dedicated users to find work arounds and follow elaborate optimization schemes instead of writing code that can take advantage of modern hardware... The gentleman is right, we should not be forced to leave all of our horsepower on the table while AE only uses 1st gear. My machine is as optimized as it can be for AE, all the tricks and toys, pcie gen 4 nvme dedicated cache drive kind of fast here... and yet AE only uses a single cpu core and has only added piecemeal effects to the gpu accellerated list. Most recently, AE 2020 has decided that it cannot handle rendering simple text animations at a reasonable frame rate, while effects and 3D is fine.. fun stuff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1