Highlighted

AE CC 15 pen tool issue in 3D

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I (still) use CC 15 and I am having an issue with the pen tool. 

When I'm in Top (or left, right, bottom) view I can use the pen tool just fine on screen to create new shapes or deform an existing shape but as soon as I turn on 3D for that shapelayer it wont let me do that anymore. The pen tool simply does nothing and clicking on screen just returns a error-like sound effect. 

In active camera, front, back or the 3 custom views it works just fine - even for 3D shape layers. But in Top view it somehow breaks. Is that a setting issue? Because I really need to make it work in this view to be able to line up the points in 3D space properly. 

Thanks for the help

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE CC 15 pen tool issue in 3D

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I (still) use CC 15 and I am having an issue with the pen tool. 

When I'm in Top (or left, right, bottom) view I can use the pen tool just fine on screen to create new shapes or deform an existing shape but as soon as I turn on 3D for that shapelayer it wont let me do that anymore. The pen tool simply does nothing and clicking on screen just returns a error-like sound effect. 

In active camera, front, back or the 3 custom views it works just fine - even for 3D shape layers. But in Top view it somehow breaks. Is that a setting issue? Because I really need to make it work in this view to be able to line up the points in 3D space properly. 

Thanks for the help

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera views are isometric and unless you rotate a 3D layer so that you can see the face of the layer you cannot use the pen tool. This is no bug. It makes sense because all you would be able to see in the top view was the 1-pixel line that describes the layer.

Try creating a new shape layer, make it 3D, rotate it 90º in X, change the view to Top and try drawing with the pen tool. It should work just fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed the issue thanks. but now I have a different one. 

I rotated a square in top view by 1° so I can see it and then tried to grab a corner to move that point down in the Z direction. However while I was now able to do that, it complete deformed the shape. Apparently the point also moved significantly in the Y direction which became apparent once I switched back to Front view - it was no longer a square - if that makes sense. 

In short. Is there a way to move a point of a shape layer independetly up and down the Z axis and only the Z axis. in the same way you would do it with the position property for the entire object.

I thought top view would allow me to do that but apparently not. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
mariooo9 LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it makes more sense to describe what Im trying to achieve. 

I have two flat layers on different Z levels offset from one another and now want to create a ramp between them. (fig1) 

the problem is, because the flat layers are irregular shapes I cant just create a rectangle on one Z level and rotate and scale the shape till it meets the other flat layer. (fig2) I somehow have to create the ramp from 4 individual points that all sit at the right spot in space. 

My approach was to create the ramp from above on the level of one of the flat layers and then try move the two corners above the other flat layer down in Z space. But I didnt get that to work yet.

3d.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines