Highlighted

AE CC 2019 - The source compression type is not supported

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated AE to V16.0 and now see After Effects Error: The source compression type is not supported ( 86 :: 1 ) when opening projects with links to videos in our CC Library. Also see another error message which ends 4K UHD movie cannot be imported (from CC Library) - this '.mov' file is damaged or unsupported.

Any ideas welcome

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by imeilfx | Adobe Community Professional

Adobe removed most of the consumer-level Quicktime codecs (in After Effects) with the CC2018 release. So if before - in earlier version of AE you were able to play that file and in AE 2018 you can't - that mean that your file was compiled with codec that is not supported anymore.
If that is the case - you have two choices:
a) go back to earlier version of AE
b) convert your files to format/codec that is supported in new AE

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE CC 2019 - The source compression type is not supported

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated AE to V16.0 and now see After Effects Error: The source compression type is not supported ( 86 :: 1 ) when opening projects with links to videos in our CC Library. Also see another error message which ends 4K UHD movie cannot be imported (from CC Library) - this '.mov' file is damaged or unsupported.

Any ideas welcome

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by imeilfx | Adobe Community Professional

Adobe removed most of the consumer-level Quicktime codecs (in After Effects) with the CC2018 release. So if before - in earlier version of AE you were able to play that file and in AE 2018 you can't - that mean that your file was compiled with codec that is not supported anymore.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 13, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Have you checked the codec you have set?

Supported file formats in After Effects CC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, yes i  did check, the clip in question is a .mov so supported. I have come to the conclusion this this might just be an issue with a specific collection of video files within Adobe Stock as other files still import without an issue.

I think perhaps it is no more complex than that, but time will tell.

clip: Stock Video of In a Computer Science Class Boy Wearing Virtual Reality Headset Works in Interactive ...

I appreciated the response.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here. It is highly annoying. Can't use files I used to use in my recent projects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Might be worth Adobe cleansing Adobe Stock of videos using unsupported consumer-level Quicktime codecs to avoid future issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2018 1
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it helps anyone else but I searched several forums for a solution that would work. Finally found a link to Handbrake:

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

which I used to convert the file and now it works to import it to AE. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand this correctly, Adobe significantly reduced the number of codecs it supported in the CC2018 release. I have thousands of VFX asset files that are now no longer supported. My options are to use a version of After Effects that Adobe has previously told me that they would sue me for using, or convert thousands of assets to a lossy format? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1