Highlighted

AE CC 2020 Can't Double Click Text in Timeline to Edit or Highlight in Comp Window [macOS]

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running AE 2020 on Mac Mojave 10.14.3. When I double click on a text layer in my timeline AE does not highlight the text in the comp window to make it editable.  Any time I attempt to double click a text layer to start editing it I get the Mac system error sound. It's a minor problem but it just throws off the pace of my whole workflow.  BONUS ISSUE: Im also having to click twice in my comp window to start the creation of a shape layer, text layer or even when creating a mask. I feel like these two issues are rooted in the same thing.

Title edited by Mod

Topics

Error or problem, Performance, Preview, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE CC 2020 Can't Double Click Text in Timeline to Edit or Highlight in Comp Window [macOS]

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running AE 2020 on Mac Mojave 10.14.3. When I double click on a text layer in my timeline AE does not highlight the text in the comp window to make it editable.  Any time I attempt to double click a text layer to start editing it I get the Mac system error sound. It's a minor problem but it just throws off the pace of my whole workflow.  BONUS ISSUE: Im also having to click twice in my comp window to start the creation of a shape layer, text layer or even when creating a mask. I feel like these two issues are rooted in the same thing.

Title edited by Mod

Topics

Error or problem, Performance, Preview, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are using the Selection Tool? This behavior occurs when you are trying to use the Hand Tool instead of the Selection Tool

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup! I am using the Selection Tool. In all my years of working with AE I've never encountered this issue...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to remove the preferences? Before launching After Effects, hold Control/Command+Alt+Shift. A dilaog box asks you to remove the preferences file. Click OK and check if you have solved the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not solved the issue.  To elborate... I have a dual monitor setup and my composition window is on the extended monitor. So when I move my mouse over to it to click within the window I have to click once to "select" the composition window, then click again to actual start working--typing, creating a shape layer, making a mask etc.--within the viewer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Same system, issue started today… making a 1min amend into a… I don't even know yet!
Can't select text by clicking in text box, or on the text layer.  Text highlights then exits immediately. 

Deleted cache x
Changed cache drives x
Reset prefs x
Changed render engine x

Updated PP and AE to most recent x

Used updated PP and AE x

Noted that the ram preview is suddenly constantly flashing. CLUE.

I'm stuck now.  I can't edit text, so in the meantime I suggest using Cavalry and exporting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the delay in response. Did you reset preferences as suggested by @Jose_Panadero? Did it help?

Looking forward to the response.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not solved the issue.  To elborate... I have a dual monitor setup and my composition window is on the extended monitor. So when I move my mouse over to it to click within the window I have to click once to "select" the composition window, then click again to actual start working--typing, creating a shape layer, making a mask etc.--within the viewer. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue now. Was working fine last week. Think ever since the last update i did this is now happening. I'm on a PC running AE 2020 (build 17.0.6).
Did you ever get a solution to this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
fg_cisco LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here all across the Adobe CC, Double click not working Ok

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines