• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE CC Mac: After Effects Collect Files not collecting some files, including project!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to send a client some collected projects, but the File > Dependencies > Collect Files command is not collecting some of the files (after the project has been reduced, so all the files in the project are required), including the project file!

I just end up with a collected folder containing a "Footage" folder that includes some of the files and not others. This is a nightmare!! There are hundreds of files that will take days I do not have to manually track each file down.

Any suggestions?

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Hey everyone -

Running CC 2014 on Mac 10.9.5

I kept getting this error when trying to collect:

After Effects warning: The file 'filename' could not be found.

So I know this is going to sound crazy, but the problem was the mouse and Wacom tablet. Anytime I gave it input when it was starting to collect it would error out like that. Then i tried putting down the wacom pen and clicking enter on the save dialog and boom - worked perfectly. Really strange bug - hopefully Adobe addresses it soon. Props to

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had at least 4 updates since the mouse bug was discovered. Adobe hasn't acknowledged it at all. This is what you get with subscription software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Adobe hasn't acknowledged it at all.

That is false. There are several threads on this forum on which members of our team have worked with people to try to reproduce this issue.

We have been working on working around this bug in the Apple event handler for a while now, and we intend to release an update with a fix this spring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK GOD!

I've had this bug for several years, on different Macs and OSs, and among my After Effects using friends, this is the number one head-scratching bug. "Wait. You mean if I touch the *mouse*, collect for output will fail...?? Whaaaaaa???"

I will be *so* happy when this bug has been fixed. It was the bane of my life until I discovered the reason.

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize. I haven't seen any of those threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can second what Todd says, this is a Apple issue we pulled up in prerelease of Yosimte. Not really that big a deal, just don't touch the mouse!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree that this bug is "not really that big a deal".

When you have to collect a large project to (or from) an external drive, it can take an interminable amount of time for the data to transfer. Before this bug, you could at least send AE to the background while it does the collecting, and work on something else in the meantime. But now, this bug transforms your computer into an unusable paperweight for the duration of the collection process. It's a huge monkey-wrench in productivity, especially if you have a paying client in the room with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2015 Feb 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant by not a big deal is that there is a work around, but yes I agree it is ridiculous one that the bug is there at all, and two that it will take over 6 months to fix.

Think you will find from my previous posts that I have been one of the biggest critics of the incomprehensible lack of quality control at Adobe right now. Since CC the amount of bugs that have been introduced is simply unacceptable. The customer service responses are curt and offer no apology, or are defensive or denied with no acceptance of their responsibility to the customer.

We currently have 3 major bugs we have to "workaround", loss of import function meaning a restart, RAM leaks, and this one. Two of which have workaround which do still cause a lack of productivity... But the loss of import function has no workaround and is causing complete havoc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening before Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening to me before Yosemite too.

The not moving the warm tablet does work, however I am having problems with After Effects not being able to collect the mp3 files associated with my project.

What I can't understand is why After Effects can't allow me to manually locate files it's having trouble with during the collection process. As it stands, as soon as there is an error the collection stops which means it simply doesn't work.

How am I supposed to properly be able to archive my project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with manual linking if a project fails to find a file. That's in pretty much every bit of software I use.

I Still can't quite believe the whole don't touch the mouse thing. Incredible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Except that summer is nearly over and the bug persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time I saw a bug very much this in AE was way back in 2004, or maybe it was 2005... The collect files process would stop and would only work if the mouse was moved. It was pretty hilarious actually. You had to churn the mouse around on your desk in order to collect your project files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happened to that fix?  the problem is still occurring in V 13.5.0.347

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kevinpales wrote:

what happened to that fix?  the problem is still occurring in V 13.5.0.347

The problem is much better in 13.7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really loosing faith in adobe. What a ridiculous bug! True as day... hit collect files and leave the mouse alone and my files collect! WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't fix the fact that the mp3 files in my project won't collect and so stops the collection process making archiving my project unusable.

Anyone else had any problems with mp3's? I'm going to try converting all the mp3's into .wavs and see if that helps.

Stupid though.

If After Effects can use the file it should be able to collect it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2015 Feb 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been hit with this bug many times.

Thing is, I distinctly remember some old version of AE (probably Windows, pre-CS) that wouldn't finish collecting files unless you DID move the mouse every now and then. Adobe likes to keep us guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the workaround (using the keyboard rather than the Wacom tablet). I had the exact same problem - wanted to collect files on a project, and ended up with several nested folders containing only 2 of the 30 footage files, and NO copy of the AE project file. Upon reading your post, I opened the file menu using my tablet, then set aside the pen and proceeded to use only the keyboard to navigate the "Dependencies/Collect Files…" command and VOILA! My project and files were collected and copied correctly. Here is my software/hardware info:

Adobe After Effects CC 2014.2 (Version 13.2.0.49)

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

•      3.5 GHz i7
  •      32 GB ram
  •      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Wacom Intuos 5 touch (L) Model PTH-850 Version 1.07

My files were stored on a shared volume on a ethernet attached Mac Server with a raided storage array.

Hopefully this bug will be sorted out shortly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insane. Failed the first time, was reading an article while it did it's thing. Then I found this thread and don't move my mouse. And Bam! it works... wow. Glad it's that simple. But just a bit crazy lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to After effects CC 2015 version 13.5.1 (bug patch released end of July) and it is still failing when moving a mouse or graphics tablet while waiting for AE to collect files.  Also still having problems with trying to export .MXF files as either a project collection or video render to another format. I am using OSX (10.10.4) on a mac Pro (2012) using NVIDIA Quadro 4000.

tested same project on an older osx machine (OSX 10.8) running AE CC 2014-  collecting and .mxf files work fine! What is going on Adobe!?! Any one else experiencing similar issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup... Houston, we have a problem here too....   highly annoying, because it's the last thing I do to bring the project home... Please Mr. Adobe can we address this issue.   

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Editology,

Yes it's an annoying bug in the software. But what helps for me is:

Note that after you click the final button to colllect files, your mouse isn't moving while collecting. It's not a final solution for the problem, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry, didn't see that someone else has said this already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... Tried this suggestion (hitting enter on the keyboard instead of clicking with the mouse) and it worked! This problem had been plaguing me for at least two versions.

Adobe, you guys should really be ashamed of yourselves for this terrible, terrible bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the keyboard trick is working... Adobe Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines