Highlighted

AE doesn't play animation preview

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a basic fractal noise animation evolution with two key frames. The animation previews when scrubbing the timeline manually with the cursor, but it doesn't play when using the preview play button. I tried rendering using pre render, but the preview still doesn't play. What am I doing wrong?

Am on latest AE version on Mac Catalina 10.15.6

Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE doesn't play animation preview

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a basic fractal noise animation evolution with two key frames. The animation previews when scrubbing the timeline manually with the cursor, but it doesn't play when using the preview play button. I tried rendering using pre render, but the preview still doesn't play. What am I doing wrong?

Am on latest AE version on Mac Catalina 10.15.6

Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try first going to menu Edit / Purge / All Memory & Disk Cache..., then try again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I tried it, but the preview still doesn't play. This is the first project I made with this new AE download. It's a 60 second timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 7.33.16 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the timeline. the green line never which I assume is the cache pre render never reaches the end of the timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting the movie with media encoder results in a static image with no animation. Don't know why it would animate in the timeline manually but the animation is not correctly recorded.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a little question, what tech specs have your system? What is the Composition settings? You say it has Catalina but how much RAM have your Mac? What resolution are you setting at the Composition and Preview panels? 6 or 7 seconds are 210 frames more or less besides the scattered pictures I can see and for Ae is too much if you have a wrong setting to preview in a big composition.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! I made a new project of 15sec lenght and the animation now renders and plays as expected. I see now the size limitation of AE.

I have a followup question, as my goal is to make a 15 or 30 minute long project. Clearly it cannot be done in AE. It is a simple Kaleidoscope using CC Kaleida and a few color filters. I guess the only option would be to apply the AE filters to a Premiere project? But if I want to use Fractal Noise as the basis for the animation I don't see how I could do that outside AE.

My computer specs are MacBook Pro 13" 2020, 10 gen processor 16GB Ram. The project is 4k, 29.97 timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro 13 "means you have an integrated Intel HD Graphics chip, the processor is fine but 16 GB of Ram is still too little to preview a full 15 seconds of a 4K on the timeline, in addition to the resolution of the Preview that you are trying to make in the Composition panel. I do not see anything strange with your project based on the tech specs of your composition and system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want us to see what is going on in the layers that are giving you problems select the layer, press the 'u' key twice, then take a full screenshot of the entire UI so we can see what is going on. Pressing 'uu' shows us everything you modified on every property that can be modified and on every effect that can be added. If you think comp settings might be important, make sure that the Project Panel is visible and select the comp. If you are worried about source footage, select the footage in the Project Panel and we can see the codec, frame rate, sound properties, and everything else that might be important to solving your problem. Cropped screenshots are almost completely useless. 

Your timeline shows us 6 layers and a timeline that is probably a bit over a minute long. Unless you have a monster system or are creating comps with a very small frame size, you will never get a full minute of preview time in After Effects. My average comp is one shot and seven seconds. A minute is a very long AE comp. We don't know what footage has the effects applied, what the switches and modes columns, or if any layer is parented to another layer. We don't know if you are viewing the Active Camera in the comp panel - the only view that will render, but not the only view that will preview. 

If fractal noise isn't animating then you have not properly set up the effect. There is no bug that would cause Fractal Noise not to animate if you have changed the values over time enough to see some movement in something. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help! See my answer above for the update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2020 0