• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Extensions Build // HTML/CEP Is it possible to have 2 instances of an extension running?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am currently working on an after effects extension build through the html/cep route. I am looking for a way to have a button open up another instance of the same extension.  The extension is similar to kbar but it has tabs to group internal tools for my company.  I would like to be able to click a button which would open up another instance of the extension and they can select different tabs for each instance and have them docked anywhere in after effects.

Is it even possible to have more then 1 instance of the same extension?  

I've tried using csinterface.requestOpenExtension(uniqueID) but this does not work.

document.getElementById("newInt").addEventListener("click", function() {
var newInst = new CSInterface();
newInst.requestOpenExtension(com.msetest.test);
alert("test");
})

This code will result in alert("test") so I know that the button is being clicked and read properly but it is not opening a new instance.

mac os catalina, AE 2020 

Any help would be much appreciated!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. As far as I know on a generic level each panel in AE must have a unique name. So whatever tabbing and instancing you plan on doing will likely have to be done internally in the script.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Mylenium - not 100% sure but I think this is not possible. SO the best you can do is probably have an extension bundle with say 10 identical looking extensions in it. But even then when showing a new one it will be tricky to figure our which ones are already open and which new one needs to be used next.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ah, sad news. Ok thank you Sirs! I will scratch this idea and probably just go with internal tabbing within the extension.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines