• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE hardware acceleration enabled but not working

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing because I have seen quite poor performance in the AE application for quite a while now. I have a pretty powerful CPU (i9) and an alright GPU (GTX 970). But some features are off and/or slow in the application, mainly in the timeline panel.

For example, when previewing audio, it gets really slow (example).

Likewise when there are a lot of keyframes present (example, and this is not even that many keyframes).

I have hardware accelerated panels enabled but I don't think it's utilized (performance for first video). Other applications seem to be able to use acceleration fine like Chrome (is anyone aware of a standalone test?).

I know from using AE previously and from talking to other people that it is usually faster than this.

Any help?

TOPICS
Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from the fact that you seem to have a wrong understanding of how AE works and/ or wrong expectations I can't see much unusual. Sure, there is some jumping and maybe there is some genuine audio lag, but since you haven't bothered to provide exact, full system information, we can't put that in context and make an assessment, even more so since we don't know what else is going on in your composition(s). A single non-accelerated effect can completely ruin any acceleration functions and AE's acceleration features are severely limited to begin with. None of that may have anything to do with your computer, just an effect evaluating in its very own specific way.

And seriously, just looking up any of the million "How do I optimize performance?" threads on this forum alone can tell you, why AE is crawling along on one core. AE doesn't use any fancy parallel processing and its multthreading is further limited by some of its old paradigms and how certain stuff works. To make it short: You simply have the wrong processor. Those fancy 16 cores mean nothing to AE. All it wants is one or two cores with maximum efficiency.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe I have the wrong understanding. AE has the option to hardware accelerate UI panels and that is all I feel is lacking.

I have been using AE for many years now and I know effects can use the GPU and that AE isn't optimized for multithreading. What I am experiencing on my system is something that has run smoothly using the same software 10 years ago.

There are not many posts that I could find addressing the same issue. All I can find are threads about "Why can't I activate HA in the first palce/why is it grayed out".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see. Then perhaps something weird with your graphics configuration, after all? Using any specific stuff like G-Sync or forced V-Sync? Virtual desktops? Heterogenous multi screen configuration? An excursion to the NVidia panel might help. Likewise, check whether you are using wonky monitor color profiles or soem such thing. It seems Adobe apps have become hyper sensitive to such stuff.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines