Highlighted

AE - Invalid Menu Operation error

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I attempt to apply an effect onto a layer, a message pops up "After Effects warning: Invalid menu operation." This happens with just about any effect including the stock effects, plug-ins, and scripts.

To see the effect in the effect panel, I have to deselect the layer and reselect it which causes the error to pop back up and creates some kind of error loop.

Also, if I save a project after this error and leave an effect on a layer, when I reopen the project all layers below the effect layer disappear from my timeline.

Needing a bit of help here.

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE - Invalid Menu Operation error

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I attempt to apply an effect onto a layer, a message pops up "After Effects warning: Invalid menu operation." This happens with just about any effect including the stock effects, plug-ins, and scripts.

To see the effect in the effect panel, I have to deselect the layer and reselect it which causes the error to pop back up and creates some kind of error loop.

Also, if I save a project after this error and leave an effect on a layer, when I reopen the project all layers below the effect layer disappear from my timeline.

Needing a bit of help here.

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not provided any useful techznical info like system info, the types of layers you work with, project settings and so on. That said, chances are you downloaded an invalid/ incompatible custom script with a panel and that continually intercepts wrong commands, causing teh error. So if you indeed blindly downloaded some outdated third-party JSX or whatever, start by removing it again. for anything beyond that much more specific info is required. Could even be something as trivial as your mouse/ tablet acting up.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply... and I should have given those details.

But, I think pinpointed the problem... too many layers in a composition. I reduced the number of layers and the problem went away.

So... is there a layer limit of some kind?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines