Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE keeps importing the same file.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've lately been importing Illustrator files into After Effects for animation. I've been running into an issue where I'll upload one file, and then every file I upload afterwards is that same first file. Sometimes saving the file in a different folder, or drastically changing its name helps.

I've reinstalled AE/restarted my computer. This has been a problem for a few weeks.

Thanks for any help!

Deric

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Hey everyone I found a solution to your problem.

I had the same situation when using Premier 2018 when I tried to import slide from a presentation and had the same problem. The original file was PDF so I had to turn it into jpg to use it in premier.  After restarting my computer and trying again all the steps described nothing worked. So I brought the exported jpgs and re-exported them again in resolution matching my sequence settings. After that I was able to import all my images normally.

Seems

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description of the problem does not give many details. Upload a file isn't really the right term to use. I think you mean Import a file.

If your copies of After Effects and Illustrator are up to date (not the latest but the most current build for the version you are using) and you have already purged all memory and cache try this:

1. Reboot your machine
  2. Create two new illustrator files with a square in one file and a circle in the other
  3. Name the files test 1.ai and test 2.ai and same them both to a new folder
  4. Open After Effects and from the Menu choose File>Import
  5. Select test 1.ai and select Import as footage from the import options
  6. Select the imported file in the Project Panel and choose File>New Composition from selected
  7. From the Menu select File>Import and choose test 2.ai and import the file as footage
  8. Double click the test 1.ai file in the Project Panel to see if it opens properly in the footage panel
  9. If it opens properly then in the footage panel drag the file from the Project Panel to the comp you made from test 1.ai and see if you have both a square and a circle in the comp panel

If this works then you are experiencing user error and you need to carefully review your workflow and verify the files by opening them in Illustrator. If it doesn't work then let us know and give us complete workflow details and uncrossed screenshots of your project with the appropriate footage selected in the Project Panel and the appropriate layers selected in the timeline with their modified properties revealed so we can help you get to the bottom of this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are "Untitled 1" and "Untitled 2" in Illustrator.

1.png

Both saved to the same folder.

2.png

I import Untitled 1 into a new AE project.

3.png

The file Imports correctly.

4.png

I import Untitled 2.

5.png

Untitled 1 is duplicated instead.

6.png

This wasn't an issue until about a month ago.

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really odd.

Version of AE and OS down to the last decimal point please. I cannot reproduce your bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE Version 14.1.0.57

Windows 10 64 Bit

Version 1607

OS Build 14393.693

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been having the same problem for long time now, and i used to rename all my files in a non-sequence way to solve it, but i was searching online today to try to find another solution and i saw your post. Just wanted to drop you a note i am not sure if it will help you as it did at my side a while ago.

Instead of importing by double clicking, or by using file/import. only drag the files into AE. but you have to make sure you have the settings as below:

Usually Ae setting comes by default with the below:
Drag import multiple items as: footage.
So i changed it to: Composition-Retain layer sizeScreen Shot 2019-10-30 at 12.01.00 PM.png

This solved my problem. I am not sure if I am late dropping this in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this works. Had the same problem. Tried the click and drag (from folder) out of frustration. It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you click and drag the file into AE? Instead of clicking import and importing, try clicking the file in Windows Explorer and dragging it into AE. Does it still happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it, it works fine when I drag the file into AE.

However, I also tried it with Illustrator files that had multiple layers. Since it had layers, it prompted me about importing as footage or a composition. Sure enough, it duplicated the first import.

These were also named Untitled 1 and 2. I noticed that by dragging them in, at least the file is named correctly in AE. If I were to import from AE, the name would be duplicated as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe upload those files to a file sharing site and share them here. I could then try them on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited the Square/Circle files to have two layers each. They still have issues with AE.

Here's a Dropbox link: Dropbox - Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, well I don't think I'll be able to help much anymore... Opening/Importing Untitled1.ai made AE crash...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled 2.ai worked fine on import. Maybe it might be that first one? Have you tried importing them in different orders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing Untitled 2.ai before Untitled 1.ai works well for me by either dragging them in or selecting import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening with just about every file I use, including jpegs, videos, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import, what are you choosing when it asks you for its import kind. Composition or Footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically Composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange... It now works for me, AE doesn't crash anymore. Wondering why though, does your icon in the project panel look different than mine...

comp_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than an accurate file preview in the top left, nothing looks different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue importing Illustrator layered files as comps.  Even though each AI file has a unique name, a different number of layers etc. AE thinks each new imported file is a duplicate of the first one I imported.

MacOS Sierra 10.12.5, AE CC 2017 14.2, Illustrator CC 2017 21.2

MacPro late 2013, 12-core, 64Gb. SSD drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this, discovered similar behavior with psd files, OS X 10.12.6, AE 14.2.1.34.  Drag and drop works, but importing as a comp creates the same file over and over, regardless of order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. What solved for me was to stop using cmd + i.

Instead, I dragged the file straight into the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it works! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone I found a solution to your problem.

I had the same situation when using Premier 2018 when I tried to import slide from a presentation and had the same problem. The original file was PDF so I had to turn it into jpg to use it in premier.  After restarting my computer and trying again all the steps described nothing worked. So I brought the exported jpgs and re-exported them again in resolution matching my sequence settings. After that I was able to import all my images normally.

Seems like Premier and After effects don't like Illustrator files.Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 23.22.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I corrected this problem.

I would get the same image opening up for all files when I tried to export jpgs from Illustrator, but if I open the jpgs in photoshop and resave, they open up correctly in AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines