Exit

AE lag with generated shape layer

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm experimenting huge lags recently with after effect :

When I import illustrator files and convert shapes with the "generate shape layer from vector" option, my after effect is going crazy slow to the point that it is unusable. 

I can only work with very basics shapes and even with basics shapes after effect start to lag just with a just a few of them.

For example, with only a simple grid shapes, I can't navigate anymore. When I click on a layer, after is freezing for a few second and lags like crazy.

The only solution I found is to hide every other shape layer so I can navigate properly... but this is very unconvenient 😞 

I haven't used After effect for a couple of month so I don't know if it's coming from a software update or graphic card update or else. I tried to reinstall but nothing works.

My config is :

i7 - 8700K (3.6Ghz)

GTX 1660 ti

64 Go RAM

Thanks for your help 🙂

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to know without any specifics of your AI files. What one man considers "only a few shapes" is another man's most complex project. And on top of it it would depend how you created the artwork and how clean it is. Using tools like Shape Builder in AI can create tons of extraneous anchor points for instance and even cimple squares and circles can easily have multiple the times of points than would be necessary for their visual appearance. If you haven't done the necessary cleanup, that alone could be an issue. Anyway, just hypothesizing of course. More info is definitely needed.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer,

I've made a quick test with the file I had on my desk.

I attached a screen cap of how it looks on illustrator. Of course, it's not top clean I could optimise but still, it's not that complex. 

After effect is generating shapes properly, without creating any extra anchor point but this only layer makes the navigation becomes very laggy 😞

I never had to worry too much about the number of anchor point so I don't think it's coming from this :s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check your hardware acceleration settings and update your graphics drivers. Could be a GPU issue, especially when you work with transparency preview all the time.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the first thing I did. My graphic driver are correctly up to date and I do have Cuda enable in after effect :s

I don't specifically work with transparency preview, what you see is the transpacy grid of illustrator not after effect.

I did a test on my mcbook pro, I don't have any issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I also had this kind of problem. And here a solution.

After creating shape from vector u need to click on it and open menu with 'contents' and 'transform', click on the 'contents', there would be group 1, group 2..., So now click on any of those groups and u will see 'group 1' again. Finally, just delete it. Repeat those steps for group 2, group 3 and others.

I know it's hard to understand me but I hope you got me right and its helped you:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. It does work. You need some patience though if you are importing a lot of vectors from Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this helps, it's not perfect, but much better.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

worked on After Effects 2023, too! thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines