• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE layers turn black when I make them 3D

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a composition which has multiple layers, mostly 3D. Everything was working fine until I brought in some UHD videoo footage and starting keying it into the composition. The comp has a 3D camera because I move around a larger space than the composition. Now when I make either the keyed footage a 3D layer it turns it black. It is also doing it with static PS layers now too. I have done this exact same process in another comp this week and had no such issues. Does anyone know if this is a weird configuration issue or ...???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the AE forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. Sorry for posting in the wrong place. I am new to the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you are editing video in After Effects. I would start by making each shot a comp. If this is a single shot that is about four and a half minutes long then I guess you are stuck. 

Here's how you troubleshoot a comp like this. First, solo the problem layer and then press the U key twice. I'm assuming that layer 10 is the one that is turning black. If you solo the layer when it is black and it shows up again then you have a light in the comp that is not casting light on the layer. Simple as that. Another thing you can do is press aa when the layer is selected to reveal material options for 3D layers. Look down the list for Accepts Lights and turn that off. If the layer shows up, then the light in the comp is not casting light on the layer. 

If those suggestions don't help try soloing the layer, pressing the U key twice so we can see everything going on in the layer, then embedding the screenshot using the toolbar. Uploaded images are a real pain to look at. If we can see what you are doing with the layer we can probably help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick,

I hit AA and turned off the accepts light function. That did it. Rookie mistake. I had read about this but hadn't thought it possible as I'd just done the exact same thing in multiple other projects which didn't have the same effect.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue. An error reading, "After Effects error: TDL: outline contains triangles that are too small to be rendered. Check for very thin triangles in original artwork ( 88 :: 3)." 

I changed the font (Imagine Serif Stamp Rough)  and it worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines