Highlighted

AE Project file has disappeared along with all auto-saves.

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I've been working on an AE project for the last few months. I haven't worked on it for about two weeks, I was going to work on it today but I can't find it anywhere and none of the auto-saves exist either. I was working off an external hard drive on an iMac (Catalina) and ocassionally a Macbook Pro (High Sierra). I've heard of this problem with Premiere but not with AE. I haven't updated my OS or my AE recently. It's completely baffling. All instances of this project file seemed to have been wiped. The Macbook Pro has got to a stage in its life where it switches off if it has 30% battery left, or if you turn it on without a power cable in, but not sure how this could systematically wipe out all instances of this file. Has anyone heard of this before or have any ideas how it could have happened?

Thank you

Jack

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE Project file has disappeared along with all auto-saves.

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I've been working on an AE project for the last few months. I haven't worked on it for about two weeks, I was going to work on it today but I can't find it anywhere and none of the auto-saves exist either. I was working off an external hard drive on an iMac (Catalina) and ocassionally a Macbook Pro (High Sierra). I've heard of this problem with Premiere but not with AE. I haven't updated my OS or my AE recently. It's completely baffling. All instances of this project file seemed to have been wiped. The Macbook Pro has got to a stage in its life where it switches off if it has 30% battery left, or if you turn it on without a power cable in, but not sure how this could systematically wipe out all instances of this file. Has anyone heard of this before or have any ideas how it could have happened?

Thank you

Jack

Topics

Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking your disk utility. Your drive/ volume may be breaking down and/or due to the regular power failures the jouranling functions may not work, meaning the files may exist on the drive and be perfectly fine, but marked as invalid or damaged. Running a simple repair may recover them and after that there are of course advanced methods with obscure terminal commands and all that or advanced third-party disk maintenance programs.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, I'll try this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen After Effects delete folders. The files are probably there somewhere. That is why it is incredibly important to set up a file naming and file structure system that will work for you and that you always follow. All of my project folders include at least a Project ID and a date. All of the subfolders always follow the same naming conventions.

Footage is always saved and archived by Client + Project ID so I can find anything I want by referring to my agreements and my bookkeeping records because they all follow the same naming conventions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines