Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Repeated crash when I change my workspace due to Adobe Color Theme extension

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I use the After Effect CC version 16. I used the Extension "Adobe color Theme" for the first time. And whatever way I use to close this panel lead to AE crash. So I decided to let this panel displayed. But the panel top color is white and I can't insert this panel in the workspace, it is floating here and I have to move it according which area I want to look in my interface. It's like if I have a window here alone and impossible to close it because it lead to Adobe crash.

The problem is that if I want to change my workspace which is set to Default, Adobe crashs to due to the fact (I think) by changing my workspace, this panel is close by the app.

I'm new in after effect, and I feel I get married with this "Adobe Them color" windows" and we'll be always together in the "DEFAULT " workspace. Sorry for my english... hope someone will help

Thank you !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to dock the panel somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thank you for your quick answer.

@Slazam: Are you able to dock the panel somewhere?

-> No it was impossible to dock the window, the window was floating.

@davidarbor: The easiest way to get back to your Default workspace is to reset your preferences: Reset After Effects Preferences

-> I reinstalled AE to fix the problem. May be your right sorry I've just seen your answer. Next time if needed I'll first try to reset the preferences thank you. Now my AE is ok since I don't use this extension panel.

Thank you Happy new year to all of you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey TatieKimby,

Sorry to hear that After Effects is crashing for you when you try to change the workspace.

I used the Extension "Adobe color Theme"

Where did you download this extension from? Or do you mean to say that you're switching to the default Color workspace in After Effects? Which OS are you on?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there is a bug in the latest version of AE  (16.0.1) with workspaces and docking extensions. This isn't unique to the Color Themes panel, it will happen if you have any third-party extensions installed as well, such as Magic Bullet Colorista, Flow, Overlord, etc.

The easiest way to get back to your Default workspace is to reset your preferences: Reset After Effects Preferences

You can also go to the preferences folder and trash a few specific files there. Let me know if you're interested in that, otherwise trashing your preferences and rebuilding them is potentially a simpler option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I understanding correctly, that because I have a few extensions, I can no longer switch to a different workspace? Because that SUCKS. My normal workspace is dual monitor. I'm working from home because the midewest is basically shut down, so I need to work on one screen. I'm not trashing my preferences.

Here's just another example of Adobe letting us down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, it's a really terrible bug. You don't have to trash your preferences, but it is the easiest way. You can go into your prefs folder C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\16.0 and find the offending workspace and temporarily pull it out of the folder while AE is closed. To find a problem workspace I'll save it in AE, even if I don't make any changes to it, so the "Date Modified" updates and I can figure out which workspace is the problem one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've narrowed down the problem a little bit. It's not a problem workspace. It's that once you dock an extension into a floating window, you're stuck. You can't move those from that floating window, and you can't close them. That means, you can't switch to any default workspace. Well, fine, I don't use those anyway, but it's a nice quick way to switch to single monitor (usually).

So my current workaround, after I gave Adobe a strongly worded bug report, is to save a copy of my current workspace, and just close everything that Isn't an extension. Then push that floating window off the screen just far enough I can still grab it when I need to use it.

It crashes if I close any extension. I was finally able to get it to crash With a screen when i tried disabling the extension. progress, but still a crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello RameezKhan,

Just for information as I fixed by reinstalling AE. I use the last version of AE (16). I opened te Adobe color theme panel via the menu Window>Extension>Adobe Color Thème.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am definitely having this issue as well. Mine seems to happen more consistently when I have more than one extension panel open, and then trying to close some or change workspaces. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of wonder if this is at all related to the graphics card problem. I have to disable my second graphics card. This is a recent occurrence. Updating drivers didn't help. Then i confirmed, it's definitely an Adobe issue. I'm using a laptop with an external graphics card. I asked someone at a completely different company how he's doing, and he said the same thing with his tower, which has 2 nvidia cards in it. Same deal. He found he can't open Any of the adobe software that uses video unless he disables one of them. another coworker has the same issue, but he has one Quadro, and one not.

You Don't have to disable the Intel built in graphics though.

Anyway, I can't close my extensions at all. Can't disable either.

So many crashes lately. Almost makes me want to use something else, even though I'm paying for Adobe junk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue--I had a couple saved workspaces and two of them had panels floating out onto my second monitor.  Then when I tried switching from those custom workspaces to something else, AE crashed.  The workspaces have been buggy in other versions, but nothing like what happening now with 16.0.  I too had external extensions open, but they were docked.  (Overlord).  And when I tried to close that panel, AE crashed.  It was also opening up the Libraries panel...it was just a slew of crashes associated with the workspace so I had to reset my preferences.

I think the issue is the floating window--I thought I was making my life easier...I guess not...

This is definitely a critical fix that needs to be addressed. You should be able to float panels without a headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep same issue here too... was just looking for solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here. Not sure wich panel it is. I assume it is KBar. As soon as I try to switch to my saved workspace with KBar tucked under the project panel AE freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines