Highlighted

Ae Timeline goes from Frames to Seconds and back again

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been using Ae for a while and I would always get frustrated with the timeline time ruler sometimes counting in frames and sometimes in seconds. I did some research and found out it all depends on the zoom level of the timeline (Using the "time navigator" bar), so I now know how to fix it, but, I am still curious as to why the time ruler changes based on the zoom level? I would assume there is a reason and that it wouldn't be just random, just wondering what that reason is. Thank you!

Topics

FAQ, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Ae Timeline goes from Frames to Seconds and back again

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been using Ae for a while and I would always get frustrated with the timeline time ruler sometimes counting in frames and sometimes in seconds. I did some research and found out it all depends on the zoom level of the timeline (Using the "time navigator" bar), so I now know how to fix it, but, I am still curious as to why the time ruler changes based on the zoom level? I would assume there is a reason and that it wouldn't be just random, just wondering what that reason is. Thank you!

Topics

FAQ, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing to fix. That's how all timelines in all editing apps work. You never see every frame called out. There is just not enough room in the timeline to notate every frame. They are quantized like they are in every editing app. You get  Seconds followed by frame numbers like this:

02:00, 4f, 8f, 12f, 16f, 24f, 20f 03:00

but if you zoom out farther the divisions are 

02:00, 12f, 03:00, 12f, 04:00 and so on.

If you zoom in far enough you can get a tick on every frame but they never read minutes, seconds, and frames, you just get frames until you get to the next full second. 

A simple Ctrl/Cmnd + Click on the Time Display indicator in the top left corner of the timeline will switch the counter from timecode to frames, but the farther you zoom out on the timeline the bigger the jump becomes between numbers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines