Highlighted

AE will only playback a few seconds

Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE will only playback a few seconds of the work and then goes back and plays the same thing over and over again. The playhead does not move. I am not very familiar with AE so I was doing one of the lessons and I cannot get a playback on a 15 second bit. What gives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AE will only playback a few seconds

Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE will only playback a few seconds of the work and then goes back and plays the same thing over and over again. The playhead does not move. I am not very familiar with AE so I was doing one of the lessons and I cannot get a playback on a 15 second bit. What gives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 29, 2016 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is your exact Os version? exact computer hardware? what exact Ae version? what have you got in your setup? show us screenshots. bare in mind that Ae is designed to give real-time playback of cached frames. it could be that you are running low on available RAM and Ae gives you what it can cache to memory.

more about preview here: Preview without rendering in After Effects

here's a video for you: Uninterrupted and simplified preview in After Effects

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2016 0
Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 4.45.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-29 at 4.52.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-29 at 5.00.08 PM.png

I should have plenty of room. If you look on the photo of AE opened you can see the scene I am working on is the tutorial about the spaceship. If you look in the little red line in the timeline you can see that it goes only to 5 seconds (each time the distance varies - this was longer then most). It then loops back over that 'green' area - over and over again, so I never see the completed work.

I am using the Essentials format. And, Yes, I have seen both those tutorials but they don't quite hit the nail on the head for this concern.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooh, I see you have only 4 GB RAM.  That's barely enough to run the OS and After Effects at the same time.  I'm not surprised your previews are so short.

You need to procure more memory, ma'am.  16GB is a good amount.  Don't blanch at the number; many users have 32 or 64 GB.  But 16 does the trick without breaking the bank.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2016 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is your problem

your system has a very low RAM. this means less room for caching frames. these are the system requirements

After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows

you are below recommended level so don't expect too much of a performance with your machine.

there are ways to get by. lowering the resolution pop up menu and other things. read all about them here:

Improve performance in After Effects

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2016 1
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and I have 16 gb ram. Is it normal with my settings?Capture.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me? You find out any solution? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Need help. Can't get more than 2 seconds.

I have 64GBs of Ram, lol.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Szalam LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have 64 GB of RAM and your comp is a normal HD or 4K comp, I would expect you to be able to get more than two seconds of your composition cached.

Is your work area set to your full composition?

How many layers are in your comp?

What are your AE memory preferences settings?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is 12 GB ram and a average graphic card windows 10 i3 core still my previews are short

(50 seconds render out of a 6 min clip

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vfx_noob  wrote

Mine is 12 GB ram...50 seconds render out of a 6 min clip

Sounds about right.  AE IS NOT DESIGNED to play video like an editing application can.  So get used to it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that amount of RAM, thanks After Effects opens because surely your entire system is slow. I recommend you upload the RAM everything your pocket supports.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2018 0