Highlighted

After effect not saving

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using after effects all day and its been fine, saving was fine.

but now all of a sudden the application wont save, i go to file save, click on save and nothing happens.

same with save as, once i click the option the menu just disappears and nothing happens.

I have restarted my machine and switched between apps and nothing is working, i have even started a new after effects document and it will just not save.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After effect not saving

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using after effects all day and its been fine, saving was fine.

but now all of a sudden the application wont save, i go to file save, click on save and nothing happens.

same with save as, once i click the option the menu just disappears and nothing happens.

I have restarted my machine and switched between apps and nothing is working, i have even started a new after effects document and it will just not save.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 13, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disturbing. 

try to save to the desktop and see.

What exact Ae version?

what exact Os version?

any special software that you installed on your computer that can cause permission issues?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI thanks for the reply.

its version 14.1.0.57

im on windows 10, i have not installed anything in a while.

like i said after effects has been running perfect all day until now.

when i choose to save as, it does not give me the option to choose where i want to save. as soon as i click on save or save as the options dissaper

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would reset the preferences and if that does not help I would reinstall.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just reset and reinstalled, still the same.

if it does not fix im going to get my money back from adobe. not paying for broken software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are done here in the forums, you could contact costumer service and resolve this via remote desktop with a support agent. Don't forget to fill us in on what solved it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Save and Save As... menu items greyed out or normal colored? That will help establish the troubleshooting path.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are normal coloured, when i click it looks like it registers but just wont do anything.

even when i just cross the application off, it asks me to save. i then click save but the app closes without saving anything.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a script I just wrote for you which will try to save your project programmatically. Save the following text to a file with a .jsx extension, like "save.jsx". To execute the script, go to File -> Scripts -> Run Scripts File... and type the filename you saved the script as. If it works it'll save your project to a file named "testsave.aep", probably in the save directory as where you saved the script to. Please report whether or not it works.

{

var newFile = new File("testsave.aep");

app.project.save(newFile);

}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GregA,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using AE for ages and this happened to me for the first time yesterday. I lost a week of work.

Today I just redid about half that work, and AE started going slow so I tried to save and quit but now it won't even SAVE, AND it won't quit unless I force quit. Incredibly disturbing that I could lose all this time and effort. I don't know how to fix it.

Help me someone please!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem as of today (Aug. 19th 2020) as well.  The project simply will not save.  I don't know what's going on.  It also will not let me close the program either.  I had to do a crappy, screen recording to get a "export" of my project so I don't completely loose proof everything I've created.  Adobe, what is wrong with your company??  I've never experienced as many insane issues with so many products from on paticular company as I have with Adobe software. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for your loss. I had this exact - and wicked frustrating - problem a couple weeks ago. Tried everything, nothing worked. It was maddening. What I ultimately had to do was quit, lose all my work, download the latest update of AE, and THEN it started saving again. AFTER I lost all my work, which I had to redo every part of. The moment I notice this problem again in the future, the first thing I'm doing is downloading the program immediately.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0