Highlighted

After Effects 2018 Previewer Not Updating

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using AE for a few months now and as I was editing on it, I noticed that my previewer wasn't updating with my time indicator and I was wondering how I could fix it. I tried clearing my cache and increasing my maximum disk cache size but it doesn't work and I have to re-open AE every 2 minutes and I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you!

imanayeah_0-1596763141129.pngimanayeah_1-1596763155303.png

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects 2018 Previewer Not Updating

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using AE for a few months now and as I was editing on it, I noticed that my previewer wasn't updating with my time indicator and I was wondering how I could fix it. I tried clearing my cache and increasing my maximum disk cache size but it doesn't work and I have to re-open AE every 2 minutes and I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you!

imanayeah_0-1596763141129.pngimanayeah_1-1596763155303.png

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Performance, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 06, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you can't get a preview to move, or are you saying that the update is very slow. 

First, set the Comp resolution to Auto and the Magnification Factor to 50% or less. Then check the Fast Previews settings (small icon with a lightning bolt inside). Fast Draft will speed up previews. Last try the Project Settings (Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + K) and try different video rendering and effects options if they are available.

Without seeing the modified properties of your timeline and understanding your workflow it's hare to make any meaningful suggestions. 

I did notice that your comp is awfully long. It looks like you might be editing a video in After Effects. AE is the wrong tool for editing video. AE is designed to produce effects shots and motion graphics that you cannot do in an NLE. More than 90% of my comps are seven seconds or less and one shot with a bunch of layers because I usually do compositing and visual effects. Occasionally I will produce animated scenes that may be short sequences. Those comps are almost always no longer than a single sentence or 4 bars of music. The final edit is always done in Premiere Pro. I know that sounds like more work, but it is a lot more efficient in the long run.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saying that no matter where my time indicator is, the previewer will only show one single frame. I am editing a video and it is very long. I'll try giving Premiere Pro a try.

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! It's only been a few days since I've used it and it's been stressing me out. I am using After Effects cc 2020. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2020 0