Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2020 operating extremely slow

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Having issues with After Effects, wouldn't consider myself a novice, can't figure out what the issue is. 

I am operating

macOS Catalina 10.15.6,

2.6 Ghz 6-core intel core i7

16GB memory 2400 Mhz DDR4

Radeon Pro 555X 4GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Adobe After Effects CC up to date on updates. 

I am having issue with having even a single 1080 H.264 clip in a composition. The program doesn't outright crash, but it is extremely slow and pinwheels when trying to do anything. Add a mask, pinwheel, try to drop the scale, pinwheel. It is basically inoperable. 

I cleared my media cache, tried operating in lower color bit (8bit), switched between GPU acceleration and Software only. Nothing solves this issue. 

I have never faced an issue like this before and feel like I've troubleshooted a good amount of solves. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Elijah

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elijah,

Sorry for your issue with After Effects. I appreciate that you tried to troubleshoot yourself. Would you mind telling us the exact version of After Effects you're using? Third-party plug-ins are one of the reasons that cause such issues. Are you using any plug-ins? If yes, try removing them and check the performance. If that doesn't help then try resetting the preferences of After Effects. Here's how: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-after-effects/td-...

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nishu,

Thanks for this. 

I am using version 17.1.2.

removing 3rd party plugins did seem to work, however the link you sent did not seem to remove the effect plugins I was using.

I uninstalled manually Red Giant Suite effects Trapcode Suite and Magic Bullet Suite. 

I also uninstalled Duik manually. 

This seemed to make it operate more smoothly, however I am concerned about not being able to use these plug-ins, particularly Duik. I have used these plug-ins for years and have never experienced this problem, is there a reason I might be experiencing issues with them now and are there any other solves besides not using plugins? 

Thanks,

Elijah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Elijah,

Thanks for trying the steps suggested. Incompatibility with the new version of After Effects can cause such issues. You may need to contact the plug-in manufacturer and make sure that it's compatible with the version of After Effects you're using.

Feel free to reach out if there are any other questions.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines