Highlighted

After Effects 3D tracker/ layer problem

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys I'm stuck and would appreciate any help. So I'm trying to recreate glitch projection effect from this tutorial : https://youtu.be/fyJI6qgFM7g?t=295

Everything goes well until when I click on the 3D layer cube button.

In the tutorial the duplicated layer is automatically fit to the composition. In my case it shrinks to 1/4th of the size and I can't for the world figure out why. Scaling doesn't work (it won't fit the composition as it's not centered). Transform -> fit to comp/ comp width/height doesn't do anything.

The strangest thing is that when I downloaded his reference training video file (link in description) it works perfectly. I tried using 3 different cameras/codecs/frame rates and the result is always the same.

Please help me I spent so much time on this and can't figure it out.

In this tutorial you'll learn how to create a 3D glitch projection effect in after effects. It is like a camera projection method where we cut out a few part...

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects 3D tracker/ layer problem

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys I'm stuck and would appreciate any help. So I'm trying to recreate glitch projection effect from this tutorial : https://youtu.be/fyJI6qgFM7g?t=295

Everything goes well until when I click on the 3D layer cube button.

In the tutorial the duplicated layer is automatically fit to the composition. In my case it shrinks to 1/4th of the size and I can't for the world figure out why. Scaling doesn't work (it won't fit the composition as it's not centered). Transform -> fit to comp/ comp width/height doesn't do anything.

The strangest thing is that when I downloaded his reference training video file (link in description) it works perfectly. I tried using 3 different cameras/codecs/frame rates and the result is always the same.

Please help me I spent so much time on this and can't figure it out.

In this tutorial you'll learn how to create a 3D glitch projection effect in after effects. It is like a camera projection method where we cut out a few part...

Topics

Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to see the issue. Of course the tutorial is kind of cheating because the perspective is perfectly center-aligned to begin with, which your footage is not and of course a 3D tracker would recognize this, which is the whole point. As far as that's concerned, there's nothing wrong here. You may simply need to add some keyframing or a 2D point track to compensate the position. Again, the guy in the video just leaves all these things out because he has shot his footage differently and just doesn't give a second thought to it.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some tutorials teach workflows, others are just recipes that only kind of sort of work when doing one specific thing with one specific shot. The tutorial you are using is a very poorly explained recipe with a very ineffective workflow.

I just posted a reply about this same tutorial where a user was having the same problem. I would post a link to that reply if I could find it.  

The problem starts with improper use of the 3D camera tracker, and it continues to lead you down a dead-end when the footage is converted to a 3D layer and positioned in front of the camera. 

Here's the basic workflow you should be following to set up that kind of a visual effect. 

Run camera tracker, set an origin and ground plane, add a Track Solid and camera using the same points, then verify the camera solution is good.

When that is done you should add several other track solids attached to different surfaces to verify the track is good and give you some idea of the 3D world the camera tracker is setting up. 

To line up a 3D copy of the footage layer with the camera and get it to scale properly to fit the frame you have to:

1. Pick the spot in the timeline where you want the layer to line up with the camera and set a layer marker
  2. Duplicate the footage layer, apply freeze-frame at the same point, make the layer 3D the hold down the Shift key and parent the layer to the camera
  3. Open up the Position property of the camera and then edit the Z value of the 3D copy of the footage until it moves into frame and almost perfectly fits
  4. Use an expression applied to scale to fit the 3D layer to the camera view - the expression in the tutorial leaves a lot to be desired. You should use this one:
    C = thisComp.activeCamera;
    CP = fromWorld(C.toWorld([0,0,0]));
    L = thisLayer
    LP = fromWorld(L.toWorld(anchorPoint));
    d = length(CP, LP);
    z = C.zoom;
    r = d/z
    r * value​
  5. With the layer properly positioned and squared up to the camera, before moving the CTI (time indicator) undo the parenting and create your masks for your glitch effect. 
  6. Move down the timeline to the place where you want the second layer of "glitches" to start happening and repeat the process with another 3D copy of the footage layer.

That technique will work with just about any shot that you can successfully camera track. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's amazing. Thank you so much for posting all these steps! I'll follow them and will get back to you. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines