Highlighted

After Effects aerender issues

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am one of the developers of the  render manager Royal Render. And we tried to contact Adobe via some other channels, but did not got through to the AFX team.

There are issues in After Effects since years and no matter what our customers tried, these bugs have never been addresses by Adobe.

That's why I wanted to contact Adobe for all our customers to address some issues that they can finally use AFX to its full potential.

I do not remember how many years the issues are in AFX, but some of them at least since you released the first CC version!

I am not a end customer that will ask for UI improvements, I am a pipeline developer that needs to make sure afx renders. Our application just uses the commandline application aerender.

This is the list of some issues:

1) Windows: You cannot run aerender from within a service.

Seems to be this issue After Effects 2018 in render only mode: possible bug

But that thread is from January and nothing happened!

But this is very important for larger companies as e.g. some VFX feature projects are confidential and should not be accessed by any user logged in.

Which means running aerender from within a service is not something rare.

We just get all these bug reports and have to tell the customer that Adobe knows the bug.

And customers often do not report it to Adobe as they have no faith in your bug solving team, they are more likely to ask us for possible workaround.

2) You cannot start multiple aerender at the same time.

(More and more important with these new 64 core machines everyone gets)

3) General error messages that are printed although the issue is something else.

Can you add more error checks for different parts of AFX?

That the error message does at least give a hint which part is responsible?

We encountered for example these error messages multiple times in different companies on different projects:

a)     aerender ERROR An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Unable to receive at line 314

b)     aerender ERROR: After Effects can not render for aerender. Another instance of aerender, or another script, may be running; or, AE may be waiting for response from a modal dialog, or for a render to complete. Try running aerender without the -reuse flag to invoke a separate instance of After Effects

The issue itself was always something else:

One time it was a 3rd party plugin that had to be fixed by the vendor (I can try to find the exact reason).

Or the comp has used an build-in AFX filter that is "not supported" by aerender. (see "4)" for "not supported" )

Or the user that was used to start Afx was not in the admin group of the local machine (Windows, older AFX version, did not try to repro)

4) A larger (and skilled) company reported us that they cannot use some build-in AFX filter with aerender (at least OSX).

They had to remove these filters from their comps:

Fast Blur (Legacy)

Simple Choker

Directional Blur

5) This error message seems to be missing the name, reported multiple times after another.

LoadLibrary "n" failed!

LoadLibrary "n" failed!

6) Wrong special characters or non-converted unicode characters are used in log messages (at least Windows).

For example the following error message has a special character after "logged one error" (looks like the paragraph mark in Word)

WARNING:After Effects warning: logged one error   ¶  warning: Error with file: '\\sv20\J17120_Mary_Lou\01_PRODUCTION\01_SEQ\AMO\01_AEP\04_RENDERS\MaryLou_AMO_logo_002'.

We would like to help to analyze and fix the issues.

We can for example provide a simple service that you can use to start aerender to debug some issues more easily.

We have some feature requests as well to get it to the same level as other commandline connections of other comp applications,

but if it would at least be rock solid, that would be really nice!

Hi,

My name is Tim Kurkoski, I'm on the After Effects team at Adobe. Please DM me so we can be in direct communication about this issue. Thanks!

-=Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects aerender issues

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am one of the developers of the  render manager Royal Render. And we tried to contact Adobe via some other channels, but did not got through to the AFX team.

There are issues in After Effects since years and no matter what our customers tried, these bugs have never been addresses by Adobe.

That's why I wanted to contact Adobe for all our customers to address some issues that they can finally use AFX to its full potential.

I do not remember how many years the issues are in AFX, but some of them at least since you released the first CC version!

I am not a end customer that will ask for UI improvements, I am a pipeline developer that needs to make sure afx renders. Our application just uses the commandline application aerender.

This is the list of some issues:

1) Windows: You cannot run aerender from within a service.

Seems to be this issue After Effects 2018 in render only mode: possible bug

But that thread is from January and nothing happened!

But this is very important for larger companies as e.g. some VFX feature projects are confidential and should not be accessed by any user logged in.

Which means running aerender from within a service is not something rare.

We just get all these bug reports and have to tell the customer that Adobe knows the bug.

And customers often do not report it to Adobe as they have no faith in your bug solving team, they are more likely to ask us for possible workaround.

2) You cannot start multiple aerender at the same time.

(More and more important with these new 64 core machines everyone gets)

3) General error messages that are printed although the issue is something else.

Can you add more error checks for different parts of AFX?

That the error message does at least give a hint which part is responsible?

We encountered for example these error messages multiple times in different companies on different projects:

a)     aerender ERROR An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Unable to receive at line 314

b)     aerender ERROR: After Effects can not render for aerender. Another instance of aerender, or another script, may be running; or, AE may be waiting for response from a modal dialog, or for a render to complete. Try running aerender without the -reuse flag to invoke a separate instance of After Effects

The issue itself was always something else:

One time it was a 3rd party plugin that had to be fixed by the vendor (I can try to find the exact reason).

Or the comp has used an build-in AFX filter that is "not supported" by aerender. (see "4)" for "not supported" )

Or the user that was used to start Afx was not in the admin group of the local machine (Windows, older AFX version, did not try to repro)

4) A larger (and skilled) company reported us that they cannot use some build-in AFX filter with aerender (at least OSX).

They had to remove these filters from their comps:

Fast Blur (Legacy)

Simple Choker

Directional Blur

5) This error message seems to be missing the name, reported multiple times after another.

LoadLibrary "n" failed!

LoadLibrary "n" failed!

6) Wrong special characters or non-converted unicode characters are used in log messages (at least Windows).

For example the following error message has a special character after "logged one error" (looks like the paragraph mark in Word)

WARNING:After Effects warning: logged one error   ¶  warning: Error with file: '\\sv20\J17120_Mary_Lou\01_PRODUCTION\01_SEQ\AMO\01_AEP\04_RENDERS\MaryLou_AMO_logo_002'.

We would like to help to analyze and fix the issues.

We can for example provide a simple service that you can use to start aerender to debug some issues more easily.

We have some feature requests as well to get it to the same level as other commandline connections of other comp applications,

but if it would at least be rock solid, that would be really nice!

Hi,

My name is Tim Kurkoski, I'm on the After Effects team at Adobe. Please DM me so we can be in direct communication about this issue. Thanks!

-=Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 19, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

-=Tim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2018 0
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Deadline Render and RenderGarden and have also been getting errors that the OP has cited. It would be great to know where Adobe is going with this and to get some answers regarding the "forceably closed by the remote host" problem which has really gutted my network. There is also an insane amount of logging going on in the command line now that didn't used to be there and it really clogs up the ability to see what is happening and delays the start of rendering. I have a detailed post about my network config as it relates to these errors here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/After-Effects/aerender-ERROR-An-existing-connection-was-forcibly-clos...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not prive problems. It's popular problems. All problems we have also. And we should restart it every time, because it happends randomly. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone getting this error with recent AE 2020, the update to v17.5.1 fixes it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 1