After Effects Audio Ahead of Video in Preview and Render

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was working on my first large-ish upload for youtube, put it together quickly and didn't notice until it was complete that almost the entire video was riddled with audio desync issues. You can find that [HERE](https://youtu.be/yxOjNRgC2dc)

I took another look at it today, and discovered a large factor may have been the video frame rate (Windows shows the video as 60FPS but when imported into AE it shows a frame rate of 59.993) [HERE](https://streamable.com/goeg79) is another example of the slight premature audio with 59.993 composition even after wiping all cache and stored data, starting a new composition, etc.

All of the footage except 1 clip was recorded in the span of 2 days, but yet some clips do not (or at least not visibly) suffer from the desync issue. The Waveform is in line with the out of sync audio.

Any idea what could be the cause? Or what I can do to get the issue resolved?

*PC Hardware:*
i9 9900k /
32 GB RAM /
1080ti GPU

*RAW Video According to Windows:*
2560 x 1440 /
195kbps bit rate /
48.000khz

*Imported RAW Video According to AE:*
2560 x 1440 /
h.264 /
48.000khz / 32 Bit U

*Composition Settings:*
1920 x 1080 /
Originally 60FPS, Streamable example was corrected to 59.993

Thank you,

Nexu

First upload! All clips recorded on PC in Quick Match or Ranked. I hope to be able to upload weekly or bi-weekly so subscribe/like if you love/hate siege and...
TOPICS
Audio, Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) There's a known issue with AE messing up fractional NTSC timecodes ATM

b) Game footag. Nothing mopre needs saying. The framerate could not have been stable to begin with nor may the capture tool have recorded a stable framerate and even if none of that applies, there could still be things like variable framerates, variable datarates or just bad MPEG streams, none of which is to AE's taste. Unless you can be 100% certain it has a fixed framerate and a proper stream formatting you have to accept these things or mangle the clips through third-party transcoding tools such as any ffmpeg-based one to conform the streams.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
NexuGTX AUTHOR
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) Is there a proper way to work around this issue if this is the cause?

b) My recording was done using Geforce Experience which had a setting of 60FPS - though After Effects may have picked up on an unintended variance from the gameplay I suppose - that could also explain how only some clips are affected.

Is there any way to work around either of these? Or would it be better to record the gameplay at 30FPS to play it safe that a variance won't occur? My hardware is overkill most of the time but I understand a single dip to 59FPS can cause the whole clip to be limited to a variable rate.

I suppose in the future recording for shorter periods of time would be better too? Less likelihood of a variance if the footage itself is shorter or trimmed prior to moving it into AE.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
NexuGTX AUTHOR
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are some transcoding tools you could recommend? This may be the best short-term solution for the footage I currently have.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the timecode issue to be fixed properly you have to wait for an update. For the time being overriding the footage interpretation using full 60 FPS should avoid the issue. The rest is impossible to diagnose froim afar, but you can always throw the official NVidia profiler from their developers pages at your card to monitor performance and figure out bottlenecks. Just lowering the framerates may not do anything if there are other issues like the internal synching of the card causing missed calls or the PCI simply being clogged up and causing hiccups. No easy answers here. ffmpeg comes in a million flavors from plain command line to graphical UI tools like Handbrake as well as plug-ins for VLC and other media players, so choose what's easiest for you.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines