Highlighted

After Effects Auto Trace Crashes when trying to trace a "Timer" in my composition

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I made a time using the text tool and a little bit of code, rendered out the full 5 minute timer into a .Webm file for a transparent background so I can add it to one of his Twitch Scenes, Once I dragged it into the compostion it plays just as expected, I am trying to add a nice Neon glow effect on the outer edges so I try to hit the autotrace button on the extension I used, it traces about 55/9019 before it crashes probably due to running out of memory as the usage goes up quite a bit, I have 16 Gbs dedicated to the program. Any work around for this on how to make this work properly?

Specs

i7 8700k

32 gbs RAM

GTX 2080ti

Windows 10

2 TB NVME SSD

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Your workflow is completely flawed. There is no need for Auto-trace and if you tried to use it, changing numbers would create an astronomical number of masks in just a few seconds.

Open up the original comp, enable transparency grid to make sure your counter is on a transparent background, then add the comp to the render cue and use the Lossless With Alpha preset to render a movie with an alpha channel. Use this as the master. 

Better yet, add the glow before you render, then render your lossless master with the glow applied and transparency, then use that file to generate the WebX file. 

Using auto trace on anything but some simple shapes that don't change very much works most of the time. It will never work on a digital counter, even if it has only two or three digits. The biggest reason, the digits don't morph from one to another so trying to calculate and generate paths with the same number of points between a 5 and a 1 or a 4 and an 8 is going to be nuts.

Topics

Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects Auto Trace Crashes when trying to trace a "Timer" in my composition

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I made a time using the text tool and a little bit of code, rendered out the full 5 minute timer into a .Webm file for a transparent background so I can add it to one of his Twitch Scenes, Once I dragged it into the compostion it plays just as expected, I am trying to add a nice Neon glow effect on the outer edges so I try to hit the autotrace button on the extension I used, it traces about 55/9019 before it crashes probably due to running out of memory as the usage goes up quite a bit, I have 16 Gbs dedicated to the program. Any work around for this on how to make this work properly?

Specs

i7 8700k

32 gbs RAM

GTX 2080ti

Windows 10

2 TB NVME SSD

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

Your workflow is completely flawed. There is no need for Auto-trace and if you tried to use it, changing numbers would create an astronomical number of masks in just a few seconds.

Open up the original comp, enable transparency grid to make sure your counter is on a transparent background, then add the comp to the render cue and use the Lossless With Alpha preset to render a movie with an alpha channel. Use this as the master. 

Better yet, add the glow before you render, then render your lossless master with the glow applied and transparency, then use that file to generate the WebX file. 

Using auto trace on anything but some simple shapes that don't change very much works most of the time. It will never work on a digital counter, even if it has only two or three digits. The biggest reason, the digits don't morph from one to another so trying to calculate and generate paths with the same number of points between a 5 and a 1 or a 4 and an 8 is going to be nuts.

Topics

Crash, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 1