Highlighted

After Effects becomes non responsive

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project where I have rebuilt it 2X because everytime I attempt to make changes, AE becomes not responsive. I can scrub the timeline but nothing happens in the composition pannel. Sometimes it flashes, other times it sticks to one frame but it always becomes non responsive and eventually greys out. I have uninstalled AE and tried older versions. I removed all pluggins, reset preferences, purged media caches and updated drivers for my graphics card. I am at a loss and very frustrated. Did I mention I am on a deadline

Topics

Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

After Effects becomes non responsive

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project where I have rebuilt it 2X because everytime I attempt to make changes, AE becomes not responsive. I can scrub the timeline but nothing happens in the composition pannel. Sometimes it flashes, other times it sticks to one frame but it always becomes non responsive and eventually greys out. I have uninstalled AE and tried older versions. I removed all pluggins, reset preferences, purged media caches and updated drivers for my graphics card. I am at a loss and very frustrated. Did I mention I am on a deadline

Topics

Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any exact info about your system, the contents of your project and so on we can't really tell you much. Also, if there are crashes/ freezes it would naturally help to have the respective info. On a hunch I'd simply say your graphics card is bombing out due to a heat problem or whatever, which has nothing to do with AE per se. If that's the case, at the very least you should try to set everything to software-only modes and disable hardware acceleration to ease the burden.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The odd thing is it really focuses on one project for the most part which consists of some AE built assets a couple C4d rendered assets and a couple videos. As far as the machine, I built the system about a year ago. It has a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, an Intel i9-9900K, 32 gb of ram, and a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB cache drive. Is there a way I can pinpoint if it is my graphics card. I disabled hardware excelleration, but it did nothing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second hunch: How are your C4D assets rendered? If it's EXR, they may be leaking all over the place and gobble up your RAM. AE's EXR code has always been pretty garbage and seems to suffer some weird bugs lately. Converting/ rendering to a different format might resolve the issue. Other than that you should use your system's hardware monitoring tool that came with the motherboard or tools liek CPU-Z. You may also want to let tools like Sysinternals Process Monitor run in the background to at least have some idea what's going on based on their own logs or the info they pipe into the system event viewer.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have not mentioned your pc spec ,cross check yourself whether your pc / laptop compatible with adobe aftereffect's system requirement 

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/after-effects/system-requirements.html

providing your PC spec is also appreciated  .

Generally its not adobe issue , its your pc compatiblity / your project file is heavy like you might have used many 3rdparty plugin , motion blurs , etc,.

general Idea's to run AE without lag 

1.Allocate more ram to AE( even if you have 32 GB ram if you forgot to allocate maximum to it , you might face lag)

2. Do a pre render  you will find it under sequence menu (though it not recommend for large project ) 

3. keep diskcache clean . since you told you have dead line you might have ran several fx previously which stored   harddisk and captured most of your pc space which evantually get into out of disk space issue  .

inside adobe go to edit -->  choose purge --> clear all  . do it b4 start your preview so you can start freshly .

4. Most of us store the cache file in C drive (by default) change the drive to secondary one like D or E (if you have seperate SSD added advantage  (I wont recommended if you have external one which has danger of losing some prerender files  or cache  )

5. run the render mode in quater so you can view the video without much lag .

if you still face the issue . only method is to upgrade your setup to adobe recommended one 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines