• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Bolding issue?

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am doing a video for work where I have to take the text on screen, overlay another layer of that text with a stroke around it to make it bold, and then linear wipe it to make it look like we are bolding the words in sync to the voiceover. However I am running into this issue where when I have this duplicate layer, it will default to the bold font, rather than the regular font. (I'm using the Lato family of fonts) this creates an issue because it happens at random, and when I have multiple layers of this, I can have layers appear to be two different levels of boldness.

I was wondering if there was any way to prevent this, because we are using this as a template that we copy for each client and it also sometimes happens when we copy the file. Thanks for any insight you all may have!

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better workflow would be to use a single text layer then add a text animator for stroke opacity. All you would have to then would be to animate the range selector. You could even have the stroke fade in. This shows you everything that I had to do to a text layer to get it to work.

ScreenFlow.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that would be an easier workflow as well, however this is for work and my boss specifically wants it to linear wipe over part of the text we have, so I have to work with multiple layers of text overlayed on top of one another, however some layers show up with this issue making them overlay weird and it happens randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want the vertical edge of a linear wipe you are stuck with two copies of each layer. You can make sure all of the settings are the same by selecting all text layers and then using the Character Panel. That will solve your random bold layer problem in about 2 clicks.

I would still use the one line + and animator but I could change the Shape to Square and the Smoothness to 0% and then decide if I wanted one word at a time to pop to bold or one word at a time to pop on using the Based On switch. Easier, Faster, and I would argue a lot better looking that the edge of a wipe going across partial letters or words.

Screenshot_2020-04-28 15.31.32_fMQ8Rb.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines