• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC 2019 and 2020 "invalid type conversion" warning then crash - Windows scaling issue

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using AFX CC 2018 for a while now with no problems.

Recently installed CC 2019 and 2020, and now I get AFX crashes when I adjust DPI scaling in Windows 10.

I have a two monitor setup.

Primary monitor is 1440p with NO scaling in Windows (100%).

2nd monitor is 4K, and set to 125% scaling in Windows.

So far, I get no warning/errors/crashes in AFX CC 2019 or 2020 if I leave the scaling as-is in Windows (100% for primary monitor, 125% for 2nd monitor) and if I DON'T override high DPI scaling for AFX apps.

However, I don't want AFX 2019 or 2020 to scale, so I set those apps to "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application" in Windows 10, under the Compatibility tab for the Adobe After Effects 2020 Properties > Settings > Change high DPI settings.

This is what I do with AFX CC 2018, and everything works fine.

In CC 2019 and 2020, when I override scaling in Windows, then load CC 2019 or 2020, I will get an "After Effects warning: invalid type conversion" popup. Then It will crash, no crash report option. Often I see many "After Effects warning: invalid type conversion" popups and close them before AFX finally crashes.

The warnings/crashes seem to happen when I use different workspaces / different panels open in different monitors. When I undock a panel is when the warnings are most likely to occur.

Google searches for this problem don't really reveal any similar issues with other users..

Using latest Nvidia Studio drivers..

Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still geting the crashes. No solution yet. Only change to my original post is that I often DO get a crash report option after the crash. No other users experiencing an "invalid type conversion" crash that involves override high DPI scaling??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPORTANT UPDATE.

I have recreated the EXACT same crash issue on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WORKSTATION.

It all revolves around using the "override high DPI scaling" feature in Windows 10 on a 2 monitor setup.

When the 2nd monitor is scaled to above 100%, and the After Effects CC 2020 or 2019 app is set to override high DPI scaling, the crash will happen.

Often, simply changing the Workspace, undocking a panel, etc will create the error / crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a bug...

In March 2020, I was told by Adobe that this is a known issue and will be fixed:

This is in regards to the issue with After Effects.

We would like to inform you that this has been recognized by the Engineering team and they are currently working on the fix.

As of now we are requesting you to not use the Override High DPI settings and work normally. This would be fixed in the upcoming patches of After Effects.

Thanks for working with us,  Adobe Customer Care  

10 months later, still no fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey! I feel like I'm going crazy, I've been experiencing the same. Very similar situation with the 2nd monitor setup and messing with DPI Scaling. After I changed it while on a 2nd montior I now always get those errors without a 2nd monitor attached. The UI lookes horrible and nothing works properly for me on Adobe Premiere. I then get doezes of "invalid type conversions" I can't even use premiere at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines