• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC won't render whole composition

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2016 Sep 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to After Effects so I only have about 5% knowledge of this program at this point.  I have purchased an AE template which I edited exactly as instructed by the developer of the template.  Unfortunately, I am having issues with rendering the whole composition.  It will only render the last section I worked on and I do not see any options to have it render the entire composition (which is only about 2 minutes long).  Also, Adobe Media Encoder took almost 1/2 hour to render the last section I worked on (which was only 20 seconds of the composition).  How can I output the whole composition and is there a setting to make this go faster?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know nothing about your render settings, the template or anything else, so nobody can tell you much. We can only assume that you set the work area to only a part of your comp either while working or in the output settings. As far as render times are concerend - get used to it. Half an hour for 20 seconds can be completely perfectly normal and rendering the entire 2 minute video could well take several hours. That's just how AE works and what compositing is about. Chewing threw tons of layers with a large number of effects can take time.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I appreciate your reply but your rudeness is totally unnecessary and uncalled for.  I did not change any settings.  I only added images and text.  So I am not familiar with setting work areas to only a part of my comp.  Hopefully, someone with a little more patience can shed some light here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may consider it rude, but quite frankly you are not helping people to really help You. You simply have not provided any useful info and well, you could at least have looked up what "work area" means in the help now that that info has dropped. Some essentials just cannot be avoided and as Rick Gerard would probably write, trying to understand a complex program like AE intuitively will not get you far. Well, i wish you luck...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have absolutely no idea what I have looked up or researched. I do find you to be rude so please refrain from posting on my questions for help.  Someone who is truly interested in helping me will perhaps ask certain questions that may assist them in providing that help.  As I stated in my original post, I am not familiar with AE so that is a clear indication that I may not know exactly what info to provide. I thought I provided enough.  And isn't this community here for that reason alone -- assistance?  So, if you are not willing to assist but act as if you are all-knowing and better because you have more knowledge of AE, perhaps you should move along. I'm not interested in your non-helpful advice.  Thanks for nothing though.  Enjoy your day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say I completely agree with you gregn; Mylenium should take his attitude somewhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as M mentioned, this could be a work area problem. Please provide screenshots of your full Ae interface so we can try to examine what you are dealing with. zoom out your timeline and try to show the full interface: mainly your project panel and Timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Necromancing here but this is one of the topmost results that come up if you google After Effects CC not rendering your whole composition, so for the sake of the others that might encounter this problem, here's the solution:

I am not sure if it has been introduced in 2017 release but

1- Click Render Settings

2- Look for "Time Span" -the last option on that window- and make sure "Length of Comp" is selected. You're done. Go render.

In case of "Work Area" option, I have been told that you can set the start by setting the timeplay cursor where your render would start and press B on your keyboard and move the cursor to the end and press N to set the Work Area to be rendered. I did not try that one and can confirm that "Length of Comp" option works.

Hope you got this sorted out already after almost a year.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretended. That works! Thanks for sharing that answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Pretended, where can I find Render settings in AE 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you generate Render Queue, go to the render queue and there shall be 'Render Setting' on the left.  }44[2XK07R[4ID0R}M]1KI8.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe forums are the most toxic forums I have ever seen. Use creative cow. So done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is interested:

In Media Encoder/Export Settings there is a setting on the bottom left of the window, below the preview box, which reads "Source Range" with a dropdown. You can choose "Entire Composition", "Work Area" or "Custom."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gregn.i.c.e.., If you can't take a little criticism you are in the wrong business. Nobody is going to give you a participation trophy. There is a huge difference between rude and to the point. Mylenium is not going to hold your hand, but his admonishment should be taken seriously. There is not one thing in his reply that should offend a grownup.

There are literally billions of ways to work in AE and without workflow details, trying to answer your question is almost a waste of time. The obvious newbie problem with incomplete renders comes from the fact that they have no understanding of how to look at the render cue or Adobe Media Encoder panels. The default option is to render only the work area, and you can change that at any time by just hitting the 'b' or 'n' key. If fixing the work area does not solve your problem then something is going on in the comp or with system resources that is causing the render to fail.

If you are new to AE and you are spending most of your time poking around in the UI searching YouTube for tutorials to figure out how AE works, you are wasting a huge amount of time. Study Basic AE. I've been teaching and demonstrating After Effects workflows for more than 20 years and it is my experience that people that use a systematic method of study and practice take a couple hundred hours of pretty hard work to get familiar enough with the principals of animation and compositing to know how to do a good job of figuring out how to approach the problems you face when designing effects, motion graphics, and animations. That does not include the 100 hours it takes for most folks to figure out how AE's UI works and what does what. You need to have both skill sets to be successful.

Learn how to use the Search Help field in the far top right corner of AE. Become familiar with searching the User Guide. Vet your trainers. Most of the new tutorials I have seen on YouTube are presented by amateurs that have inefficient workflow techniques and some of them lead you down dead-end paths with no way out but starting from scratch. I spend a lot of time helping folks that are trying to learn by watching poorly thought out tutorials. To really get good at the craft you should spend most of your time learning the principals of animation and the science of visual effects. Buy some good books and study up. The principals are the same no matter what software you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BUY SOME GOOD BOOKS AND STUDY UP? You gotta be kidding me, this is the YouTube University generation. Of course workflow efficency on amateur tutorials isn't going to be one hundred percent efficent all the time, but the video, goal-oriented, learning approach is so damn helpful that even Adobe is mimicing this learning style in their own new in-application tutorial learning support. Stop gatekeeping, and try to help instead of playing headmaster. While it's never a bad idea to brush up on documentation and literature, screaming "reading the manual" ISN'T helpful, nurturing, or good advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some problems with a composition I'm currently working on. This logo intro is based on a template, and all I really did was replace the ENVATO logo file with mine, and that worked perfectly.

The logo animation is a sort of particle reveal effect that drags from left to right, and I added a slogan of text below the logo. When I tried to render the composition I can only see the slogan that I added below the animation, and I can't see the logo reveal!

What am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.20.28 PM.png

As you can see, I just added a text layer into the composition, and applied an effect on it.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 12.21.08 PM.png

When I preview the composition on After Effects, I can see the logo animation, and I can see the text layer I created below it with our company tagline.

However, when I try to render the entire composition I can only see the tagline. Why is this happening? I selected the main composition, and rendered it but all I get is the slogan and nothing else. I need help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thomasf19469722

Did you find an answer to your question?  I'm having almost the exact same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines