[After Effects] Convert to Editable Style doesn't work

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

After Effects Version 17.0.6

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I imported a psd file with a text layer into AE and then tried to convert the text layer into an editable one via Layer Style > Convert to Editable Style, but the icon in the timeline window didn't change to the "T" icon. 

I have searched some solutions, but they didn't work. The followings are certain:

1) The text layer is editable in PS and the psd is saved in RGB mode;

2) The psd is imported into AE with composition / composition retain layer sizes; (I have tried both)

3) I have tried several fonts which I think has nothing wrong with, but the problem still exist. In addition, I am not using any third party font manager;

4) I have trashed my AE preference;

5) Just in case if there any version issue, my PS version is 21.0.3;

As a new learner of AE, I try to express my problem clearly.

Thanks for any help. ^ ^

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

[After Effects] Convert to Editable Style doesn't work

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

After Effects Version 17.0.6

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I imported a psd file with a text layer into AE and then tried to convert the text layer into an editable one via Layer Style > Convert to Editable Style, but the icon in the timeline window didn't change to the "T" icon. 

I have searched some solutions, but they didn't work. The followings are certain:

1) The text layer is editable in PS and the psd is saved in RGB mode;

2) The psd is imported into AE with composition / composition retain layer sizes; (I have tried both)

3) I have tried several fonts which I think has nothing wrong with, but the problem still exist. In addition, I am not using any third party font manager;

4) I have trashed my AE preference;

5) Just in case if there any version issue, my PS version is 21.0.3;

As a new learner of AE, I try to express my problem clearly.

Thanks for any help. ^ ^

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't want convert to editable styles. Your text layer in Photoshop must be on a separate primary layer if you want it in the main comp. You import the PSD as a composition retaining layer size, then select the top option Editable Layer Styles.

Inside the composition select the layer you want to convert to editable text and select Layer>Create>Editable Text from the menu. 

Sounds like you need to spend some time with the User Guide. You will find the tutorials there a lot more helpful than most of the ones you find on YouTube.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, thanks. User Guide would be useful for me. It's my first time to use AE, so there are a lot of functions waiting me to explore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0