• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CS6: Video blurry/low quality after Render in After Effects CS6, preview Fine

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

In After Effects I edited a 1080p video. The preview of the final composition looks fine, however the rendered output is very blurry (EDIT: looks more like 720p instead of 1080p, below pictures to clarify. Clearly loss of quality).

Original video properties:

Item type: .mp4
Frame width: 1920
Framde height: 1080
Frame rate: 30.00 Fps

Video imported, to be sure right-click > 'Interpret Footage' > 'Main' >

'Conform to frame rate: 30'
'Separate Fields: off
'Remove pulldown: off'
'Pixel Aspects Ratio: Square Pixels'

Preview is still looking fine. Now importing that video into a new composition. Composition settings:

'Preset: Custom' (also tried here preset 'HDTV 1080 29.97')
'Width: 1920'
'Height: 1080'
'Pixel Aspects Ratio: Square Pixels'
'Frame Rate: 30'
'Resolution: Full'

Preview is still looking fine. Now File > Export > Add to Render Que. Render settings:

'Quality: Best' (with 'current settings' it has the same quality loss)
'Resolution: Full'
'Size 1920x1080'
'Use comp's frame rate: 30.00'

Output Module settings:

'Format: H.264'
'Post-Render Action: None'
'Channels: RGB'
'Depth: Millions of Colors'
'Premultiplied (Matted)'

During the render, the preview also shows the right quality. After the render, I open the file in VLC and there it shows poor quality. Meanwhile the same VLC player shows the original video in high quality.

Any suggestions what I miss?

Kind regards, Igor

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots? I'm having a hard time believing that just running a clip twice through AE should degrade it so much.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably something else for sure, since everything looks fine if you look at the properties, but you can clearly see the quality loss below. I on purpose took a minecraft game example, so you can see a very clear difference:

HDHDQuality lossQuality loss

Kind regards,

Igor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just to be entirely sure, I opened a new project (again), and in the screenshot all the settings I use, and come to the exact same quality loss.

Settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And now I know that actually the only settings I haven't posted are the Codec settings. I had no knowledge of this, but now I do. I changed my settings from VBR and CBR, and increased the bitrate. Quality output is now exactly the same as the input!

Thanks for thinking with me,

Igor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines