• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects error: There was an error processing this PDF document. (1074397201)

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case someone else encounters this issue. We have Macs and PCs in our office. We were getting the following two errors on PCs after packaging up a recent project:

After Effects error: There was an error processing this PDF document. (1074397201) ( 50 :: 29 )

After Effects error: cannot reopen an open file. ( 3 :: 130 )

Followed by AE crashing.

Macs opened the packaged project with no errors.

SOLUTION: Prior to packaging, move all assets into folders with PC acceptable names (no \ / : * ? " < > | allowed). We usually do this but missed a folder with a "/" which was translated into an unreadable character (for PC) in the directory structure of the packaged project.

FEATURE REQUEST: A more meaningful error code(s) would have been helpful in tracking down this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing what worked for you! I'm sure it will be very helpful to some poor soul doing a forum search in the future!

You can file feature requests here. (This is just a user-to-user forum, so in order to make sure someone from Adobe sees your request, follow that link.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Feature request filed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am suddenly getting this error in my PC-only project. We don't typically use any of those characters in our file naming, but Ai names all imported layers in a LayerName/FileName.ai format. I assume this isn't the culprit? It has never been in the past.

Meanwhile, I have no idea how to fix this problem. It only seems to occur on my machine. The problem doesn't occur on other machines in our office. I thought it might be a too long path name, but I have eliminated long paths and still have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing same problem with my fils also, i tryed the all the Solution (SOLUTION: Prior to packaging, move all assets into folders with PC acceptable names (no \ / : * ? " < > | allowed). We usually do this but missed a folder with a "/" which was translated into an unreadable character (for PC) in the directory structure of the packaged project.) but no use. Can you please provide the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the latest AE update and also have this problem, and this file has only been used on a Mac. Clicking OK only makes the error message pop up again, and again, and again. This also happens with every auto save from this week. So far the only solution I've found is to pound the OK button until the file loads. This did not happen at all on the previous version of AE for me. Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 7.36.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this behavior too, on a shared Creative Cloud folder.  My collaborator and I have the same Mac and the same folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue keeps persisting. Can you please provide a real solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac using AE 17.1 on Catalina.  Happening to me.  My file paths are clean, so I have no idea what this BS is.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by making the folder's name shorter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was ready to give up on this, then tried your fix (i.e. going into File Explorer and renaming some of the parent folders to shorter names). It worked. Gotta love simple solutions. Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

absolutely worked thank you for saving our a..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Worked for me too! Thanks ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this solution. this worked for me🙏:red_heart:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it work for me !! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution is still working in 2021. Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   RENAME YOUR FOLDER AND OPEN IT AGAIN IN AFTER EFFECTS YOUR PROBLEM IS SOLVED TRUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR THIS.... I GOT FRUSTATED BEFORE.. 

after-effects-error-there-was-an-error-processing-this-pdf-document-1074397201  50:: 29 ---  SOLVED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution is still working in 2021. Thanks a lot

By @pxlwzrd

Because this problem still exists in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dude! love you for this solution. I can't believe it. just make folders name short.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem arises when you import a project into another project, and 'collect files'. The folder name then ends with .aep and therefore conflict arises, when AE write system folder with .aep as end. Solution is: you have to remove .aep from the system folder names and manually re-link the media. And for the future, remember about a clean file structure, without .aep as end, when You import project to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem - thankyou!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are awesome. thxxxx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This solution is still working in 2021. Thanks a lot"

Because this problem still exists in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines